Law Students > Distance Education Law Schools

California to tighten bar admission rules?

(1/5) > >>

Maintain FL 350:
According to Calbar's website, the state bar's Task Force on Admission Regulation and Reform will meet in January to discuss, among other things, whether admission to the California bar should be limited to ABA and CBE graduates.

Such a restriction could have significant consequences. California is one of only a handful of states that allows non-ABA grads to sit for the bar, and has traditionally been the jurisdiction of choice for graduates of unaccredited law schools. The concern seems to be the very low pass rates (often in the single digits), and the ethical issue of allowing a school to take tuition from students who have such a statistically low chance of passing.

I assume that the Task Force would issue some kind of report or recommendation, which would then be considered by the bar. As far as I'm aware there is no real movement among the legal community to so limit admission, but it probably wouldn't be opposed either. Interesting, we'll see what happens. 

jennid1234:
Statistics on the last bar exam in Jun 2012 state the passage rate percentage for CA Accredited was 31% for first time takers, repeaters 10% and all takers 19%.  For all takers in the unaccredited category - 15%, not much difference between CA Accredited and the Unaccredited and the repeaters for unaccredited was 12% HIGHER than the accredited 10%.  Feb 2012 - first time takers - same percentage 33% in both categories.  I don't know seems to me the CA ABA pass rate not anything to boast about either at 68% and 53% on the same respective tests.  Tightening standards will mean what? No more distance learning or correspondence schools?  We shall see.

jennid1234:
This is a piece of history where the total bar passage rate was below 50%.  Check out the news article from 1984

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=lcw8AAAAIBAJ&sjid=Xi4MAAAAIBAJ&pg=5214,3946924&dq=california+state+bar+unaccredited+schools&hl=en

Groundhog:
Probably wouldn't hurt to restrict the number of licensed attorneys in some way—either through lowering bar passage rates, eliminating unaccredited schools, or figuring out some way to decrease class size(likely the toughest).

Of course, I say this after being admitted.

livinglegend:
Good point Groundhog after being admitted don't particularly care how tight they make the admission rules for others kind of selfish, but the way it is. 

Philosphically I think if someone can meet all the standards for admission to the bar they should be able to practice law, but selfishly I am more than open to less competition for jobs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version