Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is it better to apply early with a lower GPA?  (Read 550 times)

eric922

• View Profile
    • Email
Is it better to apply early with a lower GPA?
« on: December 09, 2012, 12:21:01 AM »
I have this coming spring semester, summer, and the following fall semester to go and will be able to graduate at the end of the Fall 2013 semester.. Assuming everything goes well my GPA at the start of next fall will be a 3.22, at the end of the next fall semester it will be a 3.33. I know this is a hypothetical and depends on me getting all A's, but I'm really more interested in opinions on applying late or early due to rolling admissions. I'll take the LSAT in June and if I do good enough I was planning on sending out early applications to schools in September due to rolling admissions. Would the extra GPA points be worth applying late or is it too small of a difference to matter?

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is it better to apply early with a lower GPA?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 12:32:07 AM »
Like you said, it's extremely hypothetical.

You don't know what grades you'll get this year—or next Fall.

But let's say, for argument's sake, you do. The trade-off then is (the possibility of) a slightly higher GPA vs. applying early. It's probably a wash. Going complete early gives you more consideration and the most chance at the few spots that are truly competitive in a law school class. A higher GPA always helps in that it can move you from the maybe to yes category, but you're again assuming a lot about your grades.

A middle of the road option would be simply to apply as early as possible and then update schools after your Fall semester grades are in. It's unlikely that any of your target schools will have accepted or denied you before then.

If it were me, I'd apply early and hope for good grades next Fall.