Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Please give brutally honest feedback on my situation  (Read 709 times)

terribleapplicant

• View Profile
Please give brutally honest feedback on my situation
« on: December 01, 2012, 06:27:21 PM »
I went back to school after pursuing sport as a career. I suffered almost a handful of concussions and, as a result, decided to return to school. Initially, I hadn't a clue what I wanted to pursue as a major, let alone a career. I dicked around in community college for two years and and eventually transferred with a 2.9 GPA to a liberal arts college in the midwest. While in community college, I accumulated 5 w's over 2 years. Upon transferring to the college I'm at now, My first semester was atrocious and I earned a 2.2 GPA. My second semester got off on the right foot as I was determined to right the ship. However, I ended up in the hospital for a week during a crucial stretch. Unfortunately, my college decided that letters from medical doctors were not sufficient enough to late drop the courses, and I was left with 5 more W's to my transcript to now total 10. I returned to school the next semester and got off to a fantastic start. At the conclusion of midterms, I had straight A's and was feeling good about everything. That said, what I later learned was post concussion syndrome started to surface and near the end of the semester I basically shut down. I began missing classes (small liberal arts school has pretty brutal absence policies) and even when I did make it in, PCS made it next to impossible to focus. For those who aren't familiar with PCS, depression is a pretty significant component and was something that was very present for me. Given that I already withdrew for a medical reason the previous semester, I didn't want to go through that again and was determined to finish the semester regardless of the outcome. At this point, I was debating dropping out of college all together and was just mentally drained from all of the failure. I  ended up earning an A-, B, B, C, D, and I failed a non-credit course. During the break between this semester and the next, my neurologist treated me for post-concussion syndrome and referred me to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me with ADD. After receiving treatment for both conditions, I received a 3.1 and a 3.5 respectively the next 2 semesters. I have 2 more semesters to go and am considering re-taking some of the C courses as well. As you can see, I will have spent 6 years total in undergrad, which obviously is rather embarrassing and certainly not what law schools are looking for. That said, I took a diagnostic cold and received a 150. I'm told that this is a decent sign and that by taking a year off and working with a private tutor, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect to increase 8-10 points. Given all of my w's and atrocious transcript, do I have any sort of shot at gaining admission to a law school? Keep in mind the following:

- I am a non traditional white student in my upper 20s.
- I have no aspirations of biglaw. I simply want to practice law. I am perfectly content with schools like Valparaiso, Dayton, etc. I know, really shooting for the stars, but this is the situation I'm in.
- Does an upward trend here help erase some of the negativity?

I've read the site a bunch and appreciate all the information provided by everyone. That said, I can assure you that I'm not going to throw a temper tantrum if someone presents me with news that would be perceived as negative. I would appreciate it if you are honest. If law school is something that won't be in my cards, this is something I will have to accept and would rather do so sooner rather than later.

eric922

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Please give brutally honest feedback on my situation
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 10:03:05 PM »
Well I do have some good news.  I didn't see your LSAC GPA in there so if I didn't miss it I might be able to offer some hope.  As long as your Ws are simply Ws and not Ws failing, then they won't hurt your GPA.  Also, you should write an addendum to explain your issues with your low GPA. I'd be rather surprised if schools didn't at least get you some kind of a break.  My biggest advice though is work hard on the LSAT.  It is a learnable test and if you can score high enough you can get into a lot of schools.  This is a a longshot, but if you managed to pull around a 170 or above then even some of the lower T14 schools wouldn't be closed to you.  It will not be easy, but most things in life aren't, unless you come from a rich family of course.