Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Resume  (Read 1077 times)

staciii

• View Profile
    • Email
Resume
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:44:29 PM »
Should I edit my resume for the applications? I have a strong resume used for when applying for jobs - but it is limited to fit on one page. Should I be listing all of my past jobs? What exactly should be included?

Thanks!
f

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Resume
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 09:55:21 PM »
Keep it to one page that is the length you will be using when applying for attorney jobs out of law school unless you have some crazy experience. I doubt the admissions committee will spend more than 10 seconds looking at your resume unless you have something crazy on there i.e. NFL football player, Navy Seal, Journalist for the Wall Street Journal, or something along those lines. If it is 2 years at company X etc, etc then it really won't hurt or help your application and the majority of the committees decision will be based on numbers as it almost always is.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 09:48:02 PM »
Unless you have a lot of work experience or some serious academic publications, one page is probably fine.

What should be included is everything that helps the admissions committee get a (positive) idea about you.

SaraJean

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 02:43:02 PM »
I patterned my resume after the faculty members' curriculum vitae because I figured, "When in academia, do as the academics do."

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »
That is not a bad of way doing it and as we all know there is never a right way to do a resume. X guy might want bullet points, Y girl may want paragraph format, Z guy might be upset if you use 11 font to save space, W girl might think it is clever to use 11 point font to save space it is all very subjective.

With that said law school admissions is pretty much all numbers and as long as the name on your resume is spelled right and not in crayon it probably won't make much of a difference.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 04:11:26 PM »
I do not know if most people want to submit a C.V. for law school applications. It makes sense for some people with significant undergraduate research or other graduate school work. You are applying to an academic institution, but not academia itself. In the end most people will probably be best served by a business resume since that's what you'd be sending out as a lawyer.