Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2.69gpa/175lsat chances?  (Read 1720 times)

Djbakal

• View Profile
2.69gpa/175lsat chances?
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:12:39 PM »
Due to transferring and personal issues, my gpa has suffered(2.69). The report shows ranges in gpa up to 3.9 depending on semester. I have worked for the past 4 years as a NYC real estate broker putting time between these grades, and scored a 175 last year on the LSAT. Chances/target schools?

eric922

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2.69gpa/175lsat chances?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:47:04 PM »
Due to transferring and personal issues, my gpa has suffered(2.69). The report shows ranges in gpa up to 3.9 depending on semester. I have worked for the past 4 years as a NYC real estate broker putting time between these grades, and scored a 175 last year on the LSAT. Chances/target schools?
You're a spliter so it's really hard to tell, but honestly I think you probably have a decent shot at a lot of schools, because your LSAT is really high.  Check out Lawschoolpredictor, Lawschoolnumbers, and LSAC's calculator and see what comes up for people with your numbers. I could be wrong here so take this with a grain of shot, but you might have a chance at a T14 school, but like I said I'm not sure.  I just know some schools really high LSAT scores.  I've heard Georgetown is big on taking people with high LSAT scores. 

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 10:37:48 PM »
The sites listed above are all great for lawschool predictions. You are also likely to be entitled to a lot of scholarship money from a number of non T-14 schools wish may be in your best interested depending on what you want to do.

I.E. if you wanted to live in Milwaukee Marquette would probably give you a full scholarship and you pass the bar automatically in Wisconsin so debt free law degree and licensed lawyer would be great if your ok with Wisconsin.

When choosing a law school you really got to look at what YOU want. Don't worry to much about the rankings and so forth if you have no desire to practice big law then get a huge scholarship from somewhere else. If biglaw etc is what you want then try for Georgetown or something.

eric922

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 01:39:01 AM »
The sites listed above are all great for lawschool predictions. You are also likely to be entitled to a lot of scholarship money from a number of non T-14 schools wish may be in your best interested depending on what you want to do.

I.E. if you wanted to live in Milwaukee Marquette would probably give you a full scholarship and you pass the bar automatically in Wisconsin so debt free law degree and licensed lawyer would be great if your ok with Wisconsin.

When choosing a law school you really got to look at what YOU want. Don't worry to much about the rankings and so forth if you have no desire to practice big law then get a huge scholarship from somewhere else. If biglaw etc is what you want then try for Georgetown or something.
On the subject of rankings the Dean of UTK's law school spoke to my class today about going to law school and he pretty much cursed the U.S. News ranking system.  He said he really wishes students would stop paying attention to them because no lawyers or professors do.  He said they were okay as a very very rough outline, but not good for specifics.  He said using them to choose between a school ranked 41st or one ranked 34th is kind of silly.

SaraJean

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 08:58:55 AM »

Plug your stats into the UGPA/LSAT search at https://officialguide.lsac.org/release/OfficialGuide_Default.aspx and see what you come up with. 

eric922

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 11:22:08 PM »

Also it's worth mentioning that if you do want to practice biglaw some regional schools can be a good choice too.  For instance Fordham and Cardozo aren't bad choices for NY biglaw, I don't think.  Hell, even UTK sends a few students to NYC each year.  But New York isn't the only example. Most markets have at least one big law firm, For instance Knoxville, a medium size city in TN, has Woolf,McClane, Bright, Allen & Carpenter which have clients from all over the southeast.     I think they have around 30 lawyers working for them.  Granted it isn't Cravath, but even most big law firms aren't Cravath and let's face it the majority of us won't be working at Cravath.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 06:19:45 PM »
Also it's worth mentioning that if you do want to practice biglaw some regional schools can be a good choice too.  For instance Fordham and Cardozo aren't bad choices for NY biglaw, I don't think.  Hell, even UTK sends a few students to NYC each year.

That's true, but I think it's important to point out that the students from regional/local schools who get hired at biglaw firms are usually academic superstars. They tend to be law review, top 5%, maybe did a stint as a judicial clerk first, etc. I've also known a few grads of T3-T4 law schools who weren't necessarily top of their class but had some other marketable experience (engineering, biotech, etc). It can be done, but the applicant has to bring some pretty serious credentials to the table.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 09:45:28 PM »
As a splitter, you need to apply to as many schools as possible, because you can never tell who needs your LSAT. Many schools actually favor reverse splitters—those with higher GPAs—so it can be tough. As long as you have reasonable expectations, you'll get in somewhere worthwhile.

You're helped by the fact that you have work experience and many of those grades are old.