Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class rank or GPA, which matters and which matters more?  (Read 1410 times)

lawlawlaw2012

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Class rank or GPA, which matters and which matters more?
« on: November 08, 2012, 03:32:34 AM »
I graduated with one major from a big, research based, state University in the U.S., with an overall undergrad GPA can be rounded up to 3.7 in FIVE YEARs.  My Major GPA is above 3.9, but I screwed one econ class, few GECs and STAT classes for Math and econ Minor with a GPA of 3.4-3.5. According to LSDAS, a 3.7 only puts me to a GPA %tile bit above 75%.

Does class rank matters much when it comes to apply T14? My GPA numbers are Okay.

Thank you!

Anti09

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 93
    • View Profile
Re: Class rank or GPA, which matters and which matters more?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 07:38:08 PM »
GPA matters more than class rank, because that's what gets reported to USNWR.  GPA and LSAT together will determine roughly 90-95% of your application, absent extenuating factors (URM or strong soft like military experience). 

livinglegend

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Class rank or GPA, which matters and which matters more?
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 10:08:55 PM »
Schools are likely going to look at your GPA because that is the number reported to LSAC and U.S. News, but maybe some of these schools will consider class rank over GPA however a 3.7 is pretty good so it won't make much of a difference.


Groundhog

  • Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 3976
    • View Profile
Re: Class rank or GPA, which matters and which matters more?
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:53:03 PM »
Class rank is definitely considered via CAS reports. You can look and see how your GPA stacks up against other law school applicants from the same university. As the above posters said, the LSCAS GPA is what is reported to USN&WR, but your relative rank will show up.

lawlawlaw2012

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Class rank or GPA, which matters and which matters more?
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 04:54:09 AM »
Groundhog, so I am doomed?

livinglegend

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 343
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Class rank or GPA, which matters and which matters more?
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 07:17:49 PM »
Don't think your doomed  with a  3.7 GPA numerous school will look very favorably at that number. Class rank might make a difference and more importantly than anything is your LSAT score when dealing with law school admissions. Take that test and see what your options realistically are and once you have your UGPA & LSAT you can check out lawschoolnumbers.com to give you a realistic sense of your options.

 I want to point out that getting into a T14 school is tough and you will need to score roughly in the top 5% of test takers on the LSAT to even have a shot and there is a 95% chance you will not be in the top 5% of test takers. I think it is important for any 0L to understand that before starting law school. I remember on my first day of law school 100%  even at my non T14 school were convinced they would in the top 10% sounds like your major involves in some math and I think you can figure out 90% of people were disappointed. The same goes for law school admissions everyone when they start studying for the LSAT is considering Berkeley, Harvard, Yale, Georgetown then reality sets in once the LSAT score comes back .

Furthermore, do not simply set your sights on T14 schools there are lot of factors to consider when choosing a law school other than what some for profit unregulated magazine thinks.