Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where and when to apply? alright gpa, low LSAT  (Read 1213 times)

frogs4life

• View Profile
Where and when to apply? alright gpa, low LSAT
« on: November 07, 2012, 09:29:30 PM »
I just graduated with a BS is biology (uGPA 3.35), and received an 150 on the LSAT :(
I have some background being a TA, and doing research in biology and really want to get into Health Care law or intellectual property. Would these numbers allow that?

I'm retaking next month in december, should I wait till after I get those results to apply. Or should I right now and write an low LSAT addendum?

Thanks in advance for any feedback :)

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Where and when to apply? alright gpa, low LSAT
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 12:12:45 PM »
I'm retaking next month in december, should I wait till after I get those results to apply. Or should I right now and write an low LSAT addendum?

I think it depends on whether the school has rolling admissions. If they make the decisions as they receive the applications, there will likely be fewer spots available by the time you get your new LSAT score (which is February/March?) I could be totally wrong, though. Contact the schools and ask.

Either way, I'm not sure that LSAT addendums really help. You can write one if you like, but the decision will be based primarily on your GPA/LSAT profile. If your LSAT is low, they don't really care why. They want to be able to report the highest possible numbers.

frogs4life

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 11:50:10 AM »
hmmm okay, thanks for the advice! The vast majority of the schools have rolling admissions, so it would be most beneficial to get those applications in sooner. I guess I'll skip the addendum, it probably wouldn't be saying much, anyways.

Am I really in a bad place with my 150? Would I be able to get into any schools?

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 03:12:15 PM »
lawschoolnumbers.com and of course LSAC are the best places to look at where you realistically have a host. A 3.3 and 150 can probably get you into a few schools, but not many.

I believe you can apply and let schools know you are taking the December or February LSAT in your application. I imagine they would wait for those scores to come in and if it improves then everything else is already in. I would contact any schools you are truly interested in and explain your situation they all employ admissions commitees to answer these type of questions.

As a general rule apply as early as possible and retake the LSAT I believe most schools no longer average scores so you don't have much to lose they will just take the highest score.

frogs4life

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 10:44:28 PM »
Thanks so much! I'll definitely let the schools know, and tell them to consider my latter scores when they come in. I'm aiming to have applications in by the end of the month; Just waiting on rec letters. Lets see what happens!

bobol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 11:06:04 PM »
You may have a pulse at the following schools with a 3.35 and 150 ( in no particular order):

Akron
Albany
Appalachan
John Marshall - Atlanta
John Marshall - Savannah
Ave Maria
Barry (warning high attrition)
Cal Western
Capital
Charleston
Charolette
Cleveland State
Creighton
Dayton
Detroit Mercy
District of Columbia
Drake
Duquesne
Elon
Faulkner
Florida A&M
Florida Coastal
Golden Gate
Hamline
John Marshall (Illinois)
Loyola (N.O.)
University of Massachusetts
Mississippi College
New England
New Hampshire
Northern Illinois
Northern Kentucky
Nova Southeastern
Oklahoma City
Phoenix
Roger Williams
St. Thomas - MN
St. Thomas - Fla (warning high attrition)
Southern Illinois
Suffolk
Texas Southern
Thomas Jefferson
Toledo
Touro (warning high attrition)
Valpariaso
Vermont
Washburn
Western New England
Western State
Whittier