Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 151 LSAT Score, 3.6 GPA. Not trying for Ivy League, just trying to make it  (Read 1844 times)

jfreeze

• View Profile
Should I retake the LSAT or just go with it? I'm really looking at schools in the south central region, Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. I'm not really too concerned with looking for top 10 schools. The higher rank the better, but I'd consider getting into the Univ. of Oklahoma or Arkansas Law School a success. I'm not sure if I ought to just apply for fall 2013, or wait, study hard, and shoot for fall 2014. Any thoughts?

LSAT: 151, GPA: 3.6; Univ. of Oklahoma, double major German/Classics. Activities: Student Congress, Honor Council (academic misconduct board), several academic organizations, bilingual, study abroad. Resume includes teaching overseas with Fullbright, and currently employed two years as an accountant with a Fortune 500 company.

I do think I could improve my LSAT score somewhat. I'd estimate closer to a 156-158. I'm just not sure if it would be worth it to get into the caliber of school I'm looking in to. I live in Central Oklahoma, and lots of people make a decent living here having gone to one of our local law schools. I'd appreciate any advice or input.

NavyLaw2016

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 151 LSAT Score, 3.6 GPA. Not trying for Ivy League, just trying to make it
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 01:03:49 PM »
Apply to Tulane...its great though ranked 51st in the 2013 US News rankings. #1 for Maritime Law however...

eric922

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 151 LSAT Score, 3.6 GPA. Not trying for Ivy League, just trying to make it
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 08:18:14 PM »
From what you've said you seem to be fine with living and working locally in your region so for that the schools you mentioned would probably be fine.  I honestly don't recommend the T14 without scholarships unless you want to travel or are going for biglaw.  The debt simply isn't worth it if you plan on working in an area where a strong regional school will do you just as good for a much more affordable price.  In fact a local school might even be better for job prospects in your area simply because a lot of the lawyers there probably graduated from local schools and have some degree of loyalty.