Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Applying before graduation?  (Read 737 times)

eric922

• View Profile
    • Email
Applying before graduation?
« on: October 22, 2012, 05:11:48 PM »
I met with the admissions director at UT law today and she told me that since I'm graduating in fall of  2013 I should start applying to schools around November of that year for the fall class of 2014. I'm wondering, won't applying early hurt my chances for aid and acceptance?  I would assume most schools wouldn't really look at an application from someone who hasn't officially graduated yet, but maybe I'm wrong.  Does anyone know how this works? Dang it. Sorry for the double post. My internet messed up and I had to refresh the page. 

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Applying before graduation?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 07:01:21 PM »
As soon as you graduate (which will be only a month after you submit your application, right?) you have the last semester's grades and proof of graduation sent to the law school. LSAC has all the info you need on how to do this. It's not a problem, tons of people apply to law school before they've graduated.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Applying before graduation?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 02:07:31 PM »
Roald is correct most law schools have an application deadline in January. So if you want to enroll in Fall 2014 you should submit your application in Fall of 2013. The reality is the earlier you apply the better your chances. Furthermore, many people apply to law school before they have officially graduated from undergrad, which sounds like the position you are in. They will look at it since your GPA is basically set if your in the last semester of undergrad and they will just look to your LSAT.

As for financial aid etc will get taken care of when you start law school and the process was quite easy for me and everyone I went to school with.

One thing worth doing that I did which saved me nearly 1,000 in application fees was going to a LSAC forum go to each schools both write your LSAC number down and many schools will give you a fee-waiver in an e-mail. Or e-mail you prior to the forum telling you to come to their both and they will give you a fee waiver if you have the e-mail. I applied to about 20 schools for free this way and since you have time I recommend doing that. I think it might also help you slightly in admissions as it shows a sincere interest in the school if you stop by their booth.

All you can do now is keep your grades high and do well on the LSAT if you haven't taken it yet. Good luck.