Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Odds with a low GPA, but high LSAT score.  (Read 1501 times)

eric922

• View Profile
    • Email
Odds with a low GPA, but high LSAT score.
« on: October 18, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
Hey, everyone.  I'm in my junior year with a current GPA of 3.29, by the time I graduate I should be somewhere around 3.46 or so.  I know it's a pretty low GPA. I haven't taken the LSAT yet, but I am studying a lot and I feel fairly confident that I should be able to pull somewhere in the 160s or maybe higher.  I'm just wondering are those numbers good enough to get me into a decent school? I don't expect Harvard or Yale, I'm mostly looking at State schools in my area.  Anyway I'm sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times, I'm just kind of worried.  I don't know if it makes any difference, but my major is Journalism which I've heard might give me a small boost in the considerations.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Odds with a low GPA, but high LSAT score.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 02:05:43 AM »
At this point, without a final GPA or LSAT score, everything is pure speculation. You really can't be sure what your GPA will be, and you definitely can't predict your LSAT score. I'm not trying to sound discouraging, but I think most people probably score lower than expected.

Keep your grades up, and study like crazy for the LSAT. Take a prep course as you get closer to applying. Your major will likely have little or no impact on admissions. Even if you don't get into an elite school, a high LSAT will help you get scholarships.

Nathaniel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My heavy metal band's Myspace site
    • Email
Re: Odds with a low GPA, but high LSAT score.
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 02:06:18 PM »
My latest revelation is that it's about being perfect on the job.  So, you can go to just about any law school, do the bare minimum to pass, probably the same on the bar exam, and then start getting perfect on the job.  I went to USC Law in 2007, a top-twenty law school.  Now I am thinking about going back to law school.  I don't really care where I go to law school now.  As long as it's accredited.  Then pass the bar.  And then put perfection to the test on the job.

Of course, I think it should be noted that I already took thousands of LSAT practice problems, got a 166, and attended a "top-twenty" law school.  Only now do I not really care about where I go to law school.
The University of Maine '07
USC Law Dropout '07