Specific Groups / Issues > Non-Traditional Students

Academically Disqualified 10+ years ago, now wondering how to get back in...

<< < (2/4) > >>

ChasingPaper:
I'm not sure why it's recommended that I go to a Michigan school (Cooley), but I do know that I will have to work on improving my LSAT score if I am serious about going back.  I realize that there are considerable limitations on a California Bar Accredited - only school, but I'm not looking to be a corporate or district attorney.  I've read too many sob stories from recently unemployed attorneys (from top tier schools) that are unable to find work, and I don't want to be one of them.

I'm looking for the degree to supplement and stregnthen my experience in regulatory compliance in the financial services industry, to which I am currently employed.  It is a definite niche, but one that I was recently passed over for an employment opportunity because I lacked this degree. 

If I decide to further things and actually attempt the California Bar, then I would go for a private practice on the side (if that doesn't prove to be a conflict with a day job) or use existing contacts within the financial services industry.

On the other hand, I got my MBA by having my employer foot the bill and I know that most employers will not pay for a JD at a non-ABA accredited school.  But most large employers stopped covering unlimited amounts for their employeess' secondary education, so I'm back to footing the bill myself.

All avenues point in the direction of a non-ABA, CalBar Accredited school.  I suppose I have some serious thinking and planning to start.

Maintain FL 350:
What LSAT score do the CBE schools usually require? I assume 140s? If so, you should be fine if you previously scored high enough to get into a T2.

ChasingPaper:

--- Quote from: Roald on October 16, 2012, 01:45:21 PM ---What LSAT score do the CBE schools usually require? I assume 140s? If so, you should be fine if you previously scored high enough to get into a T2.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure of the CBE school LSAT requirement, but it is probably around 140 or lower.  If I decide to do this (I am getting tired of standardized tests, for sure) my LSAT retake circumstances will be much different than my first time around.  The first time I was in undergrad summer school for 16 units, working 6 days a week, plus taking a LSAT prep class on my only day off.  By the time the test rolled around, burn out was starting to set in.  This time around I will take my time really practicing logic games and reasoning prep.  I am not in any rush.

avarist:

--- Quote from: ChasingPaper on October 16, 2012, 02:18:47 PM ---
--- Quote from: Roald on October 16, 2012, 01:45:21 PM ---What LSAT score do the CBE schools usually require? I assume 140s? If so, you should be fine if you previously scored high enough to get into a T2.

--- End quote ---

I'm not sure of the CBE school LSAT requirement, but it is probably around 140 or lower.  If I decide to do this (I am getting tired of standardized tests, for sure) my LSAT retake circumstances will be much different than my first time around.  The first time I was in undergrad summer school for 16 units, working 6 days a week, plus taking a LSAT prep class on my only day off.  By the time the test rolled around, burn out was starting to set in.  This time around I will take my time really practicing logic games and reasoning prep.  I am not in any rush.

--- End quote ---
Don't be too shocked if the score actually goes down.
While in school full time you were daily in that type of thinking, not so much after graduation.
You may want to consider an lsat prep course if planning anything other than CBE.
(if you do go CBE at least go to a physical campus one, they tend to be fybx exempt-that exam is the WORST standardized exam you can imagine, more fail it than fail the bar)
Employers would want to see one actually accredited and not just approved. JFKU would be a good example.
http://www.jfku.edu/Programs-and-Courses/College-of-Law.html

This article also may be of interest to you:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/californias-law-school-baby-bar.html

avarist:
As may this:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/uploads/File/FYLSX_Pass_Rates.pdf

As you can see, pretty much everyone fails it. If you hate standardized tests, that is a death sentence.

-Avoid it like the plague.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version