Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.0 career gpa but have yet to take the LSAT  (Read 1480 times)

regulardude

• View Profile
3.0 career gpa but have yet to take the LSAT
« on: October 15, 2012, 01:13:02 PM »
For some of you curren law school students and current lawyers....with my GPA what would be the absolute lowest estimated LSAT score I could get and still get into a law school? I know it sounds underachieving but I hate standardize tests.

avarist

• View Profile
Re: 3.0 career gpa but have yet to take the LSAT
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 04:25:37 PM »
For some of you curren law school students and current lawyers....with my GPA what would be the absolute lowest estimated LSAT score I could get and still get into a law school? I know it sounds underachieving but I hate standardize tests.

1L is a year long standardized test. If you can't take that, don't go.

The score varies by school. Online and CBE ones often don't even require it at all. (but most of their students never become attorneys either)

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 09:20:44 PM »

That is absolutely true. And remember, after law school you'll have to tackle the bar exam, the mother of all standardized tests. The LSAT is a joke compared to bar. It doesn't mean that you can't do it, but the odds are not in your favor. Study as hard as you can, be disciplined, and take a prep course (if possible). After that, if you score very low, you need evaluate whether or not going $100-200k into debt is worth it for a degree that you may not be able to use. Here in CA it is not unheard of to meet people who never passed the bar.

To answer your question, however, you can probably get in somewhere with as low as a 145-49. Cooley, Nova, Southern, and a few others might take someone with those numbers. Become very informed about your post grad options if you choose one of these schools.

regulardude

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 07:07:47 PM »

The score varies by school. Online and CBE ones often don't even require it at all. (but most of their students never become attorneys either)

Elaborate on 1L is a year long standardize test??

avarist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 02:11:30 AM »
Can't dumb it down much more than that really. It's just pretty much what it is.

Why do you even want to do this again? It dosn't sound like you have any ambition, and that pretty much kills the horse before it gets out of the barn.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 12:13:59 PM »

Your grades in law school will usually be based on just one exam at the end of each semester. Law school exams are very difficult, comprehensive, stressful affairs for most people. You will spend the entire semester preparing for just one exam. They are nothing like the exams you took in undergrad, and you'll actually be competing for grades with your classmates. A level of performance that would have gotten you a solid "A" in undergrad might get you a C- in law school.

I suppose that law school exams aren't standardized in the strict sense, since each professor creates their own exam, but the format (essay) and topics don't really vary. The point is, if you have a tough time with standardized exams law school is going to be very challenging.

I almost forgot: you will also have to pass the MPRE to graduate, which is a standardized exam.

avarist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 02:52:16 PM »

Your grades in law school will usually be based on just one exam at the end of each semester. Law school exams are very difficult, comprehensive, stressful affairs for most people. You will spend the entire semester preparing for just one exam. They are nothing like the exams you took in undergrad, and you'll actually be competing for grades with your classmates. A level of performance that would have gotten you a solid "A" in undergrad might get you a C- in law school.

I suppose that law school exams aren't standardized in the strict sense, since each professor creates their own exam, but the format (essay) and topics don't really vary. The point is, if you have a tough time with standardized exams law school is going to be very challenging.

I almost forgot: you will also have to pass the MPRE to graduate, which is a standardized exam.
You have to take the MPRE and the MBE to be licensed, but I have never heard of a school requiring it to graduate.

regulardude

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »
Can't dumb it down much more than that really. It's just pretty much what it is.

Why do you even want to do this again? It dosn't sound like you have any ambition, and that pretty much kills the horse before it gets out of the barn.

It may sound like I have no ambition but I do. Anytime I can get the real, I want the real. All I can do is thank you for keeping it real. 

avarist

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 06:56:00 PM »

It may sound like I have no ambition but I do. Anytime I can get the real, I want the real. All I can do is thank you for keeping it real.
Fair enough. So you pick one to apply to yet?

Regardless of your choice, schedule an lsat test date. Regardless of the school you pick, that is step#1. Without it, any converstation about it is purely academic.