Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern California University School of Law- Opinion  (Read 3281 times)

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
Northwestern California University School of Law- Opinion
« on: October 11, 2012, 08:49:36 PM »
This school is cheap.  The books are not current editions so for first year books, it will run about $250.  However, they are requiring you to buy the Home Study Survival Kit which was written and put together by one of the professors at the school (Fleming). I find this somewhat shady.  I understand needing books, but why must I be forced to purchase something written by a professor at the school?  It is a bunch of items to help pass the baby bar. 

Is anyone at the school and familiar with this?  I would like to hear some reviews of the school and if this package is worth the $525.

Thanks!

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Northwestern California University School of Law- Opinion
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 11:13:24 AM »
Fleming's materials are well worth the price - likely the best study materials out there for online students.  I would not have passed the bar in 1992 without Fleming's help.

avarist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 01:12:01 PM »
As an ABA law student, I can tell you, thats nothing bro.

Most LawSchools require you to buy hundred of dollars of books written by the Schools Profs each tem to supplement the class books. (and often barely even use it)

It's kind of just par for the course.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:06:21 PM »
I might add, it's pretty standard in college too to have the professor use their own book.

avarist

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 02:05:33 AM »
I might add, it's pretty standard in college too to have the professor use their own book.
Must resist urge to be Grammar Nazi on a Prof.........Resisting....... ........ 8)

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 11:59:04 AM »
However, they are requiring you to buy the Home Study Survival Kit which was written and put together by one of the professors at the school (Fleming). I find this somewhat shady.  I understand needing books, but why must I be forced to purchase something written by a professor at the school?  It is a bunch of items to help pass the baby bar. 

The entire law school book-selling complex is a scam. It drove me nuts when I'd pay $130 for a book (that the prof would barely even use), and the bookstore would then refuse to buy it back because an updated edition with two new cases was in print. I bought used online as much as possible, but sometimes had to buy new at the bookstore. It's a huge ripoff.

That said, the baby bar prep material seems like a good investment. Fleming has an excellent reputation for test prep, and $275 is nothing if it helps you pass. You'll waste a lot more than $275 waiting to retake the baby bar.

Among the DL crowd Northwestern California seems to have one of the better reputations. Anybody know why? Do they have a different program than other DL schools?

Nor-Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 12:07:19 AM »
I believe the cost vs. benefit seems to be in line and their students are happy with the education provided at the price they are paying. NWCU seems to be setting the example by offering a good education without ripping people off. No online school should be charging as much as some tend to do.
A.A., B.S., and soon to be 1L.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Combat Veteran

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 07:10:54 PM »
It looks like for correspondence schools they have the best bar passage rate at 21% http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=PL6VLVgQEIM%3d&tabid=2269&mid=3159, but that is pretty low. I imagine this school could work for the right person i.e if you wanted to start your own small firm or something along those lines, but a lot of the traditional legal paths would probably be closed.

Another thing to realize is that law school is pretty difficult and online school is not for everybody. You need to stay focused to do well in law school and some people struggle without a set structured schedule, but again that is up to the individual.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »
The data on DL and correspondence law schools are too small to be staistically signifacent.  Figure that if you are a subgenius, the odds will be about 5-1 against of becoming an attorney.

Nor-Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 09:18:14 PM »
I agree with both of the posts listed above. Another point to consider by attending online is the lack of experience/exposure related to law clinics and internship opportunities; both offer a tremendous amount of value and often set students apart from each other as they fight for job opportunities.
A.A., B.S., and soon to be 1L.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Combat Veteran