Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's the point?  (Read 1955 times)

Nathaniel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My heavy metal band's Myspace site
    • Email
What's the point?
« on: October 11, 2012, 05:16:43 PM »
What's the point of all this law stuff?  I mean, is it really about becoming a servant of the court or is it more about getting better at reading and writing for other things?  For example, I use the skills I have developed by going to law school for other things, like gaming.  By going to law school I have improved my reading and writing abilities, and I have improved my critical thinking and logical reasoning abilities.  And that comes in handy on www.gsn.com.
The University of Maine '07
USC Law Dropout '07

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: What's the point?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 09:22:00 PM »
it that one top your head.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 03:43:31 AM »
What's the point of all this law stuff?  I mean, is it really about becoming a servant of the court or is it more about getting better at reading and writing for other things?  For example, I use the skills I have developed by going to law school for other things, like gaming.  By going to law school I have improved my reading and writing abilities, and I have improved my critical thinking and logical reasoning abilities.  And that comes in handy on www.gsn.com.

Yes, a legal education will help in these ways, but so too will training in mathematics.  One question not always asked is whether one actually wants to do what law school is the prerequisite for: law practice.  I strongly suggest the work of Morten Lund in this area.  He's written three books on the realities of law practice.  They're short, and a (very) real-world look at what law school leads to.  I know everyone nags about reading this or that, but Lund's books really are important to see.  If you read those and still agree, you're in much better position to carry on.  If not, it's a cheap lesson.

Thane.

Nathaniel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »
Yes, a legal education will help in these ways, but so too will training in mathematics.  One question not always asked is whether one actually wants to do what law school is the prerequisite for: law practice.  I strongly suggest the work of Morten Lund in this area.  He's written three books on the realities of law practice.  They're short, and a (very) real-world look at what law school leads to.  I know everyone nags about reading this or that, but Lund's books really are important to see.  If you read those and still agree, you're in much better position to carry on.  If not, it's a cheap lesson.

Thane.

If I go back to law school, then I am going to be geared towards starting my own private practice.  Law firm, shmall firm.  Big law, shmig law.  I think it's about private practice.  But maybe that's just me.  And I agree, math helps.  You know what?  I got an A in Pre-Calculus, Calculus I, and Calculus II before taking the LSAT or going to law school.  I wonder if that helped me more than getting a 166 on the LSAT and then going to Gould School of Law at USC.  You want to know why?  Well, my theory is that everything is a machine and I postulate that in order to use a machine you must know calculus. 
USC Law Dropout '07

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 10:38:12 AM »
speak calculus to us.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 12:43:57 AM »

Thane.

If I go back to law school, then I am going to be geared towards starting my own private practice.  Law firm, shmall firm.  Big law, shmig law.  I think it's about private practice. 

If you do go the solo route, reading Lund's (and other) work will be three times as important.  This is because associates and ADAs and PDs will get an intense training via their residencies/hazings that most other graduates simply do not get.  There's not a judge out there who will give a new graduate the same treatment as an experienced practitioner.  (And the same, to a large degree, between solos and biglaw attorneys.)   

This is one reason non-big-firm associates are so often dismissed within the rarified world of the bar.  If you can, take clinics in law school (and take them seriously), take appointments once admitted, work or volunteer for the PD, or some such, volunteer elsewhere (good for contacts), and more.  The experience will make a difference.

Thane.

Nathaniel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 03:59:17 PM »
Thane, but is law really necessary?!?   I am skeptical.  But the word combination "necessary evil" comes to mind.  Like, it's necessary and unnecessary at the same time.  Who knows?  Perhaps all this stuff is held together by really smart attorneys at the top.  However, I doubt I will go back to law school unless to keep playing some sort of "lawyer card" that everybody is forced to respect.

USC Law Dropout '07

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 08:06:39 PM »
law what help keep us out coliseum.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 04:47:29 AM »
law what help keep us out coliseum.

Given our fancy new stadiums (stadia?) dotting the cities, do you think they can install trap doors under the astroturf for the lions? 

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 06:45:37 PM »
sure.  cheerleaders can use, too.