Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Low GPA, Moderate LSAT...take 3rd time?  (Read 1207 times)

Troubled

• View Profile
Low GPA, Moderate LSAT...take 3rd time?
« on: October 02, 2012, 03:24:03 PM »
I admit that I slacked off in college and I own up to it. Aside from that, I'm a TERRIBLE standardized test taker. I took the SATs multiple times and I've taken the LSATs twice so far (142, 152).

I really want to study law but I feel that me having a low gpa and being a bad stan. test taker is just killing me with applying.

I'm registered to take it again in a couple days but I'm reading numerous posts (here and elsewhere) saying that taking it a third time is risky. With my 152 score, I have a fair chance in getting into NSU (I've spoken to someone there).

with test day getting closer and closer, i'm starting to get more and more scared that I might not improve my score. I'm sure it's just anxiety but it's still on my mind.

Seeing the scores that you guys post just make me feel terrible. I've also spoken to a friend of mine who recently graduated from NSU (and passed the bar), he had close to the same GPA and score as me. He also said that if I tank this exam, it's no worry because I have a higher score to fall back on....is there any truth to that claim?

If the answer is- "you're screwed if you dont do better than 152," is it too late to cancel?

Troubled

• View Profile
Re: Low GPA, Moderate LSAT...take 3rd time?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 03:27:53 PM »
Also, I should say that for the LSAT, timing is what kills me. If I had better time, I'd bet that I could get a better score.

I'm still under the thought that I HAVE to finish all the questions rather than take my time on a couple and get them 100% right...that's my biggest issue right now

avarist

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 03:29:34 PM »
you didnt actually say what your GPA is. (low is a relative term)

Troubled

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 03:30:51 PM »
apologies, it was a 2.88

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »
I admit that I slacked off in college and I own up to it. Aside from that, I'm a TERRIBLE standardized test taker. I took the SATs multiple times and I've taken the LSATs twice so far (142, 152).

The bar exam is the ultimate standardized test, and is many magnitudes more difficult than the SAT or LSAT. If you had trouble with a one morning-long multiple choice exam, think about how you'll perform on a two or three day long essay/MC/performance test. Consider that before you accrue $100K+ debt to attend law school.

That said, you can probably get in somewhere with a 2.88/152. A small local school is fine as long as you're informed and realistic about your post-grad job opportunities. If you want to do biglaw or be a federal prosecutor, then you need to retake the LSAT, score off the charts, and get into a well regarded school. If you want to be a Main Street divorce lawyer, someplace like NSU might be fine. Do some research and approach law school with ypur eyes wide open. Think about where you want to live, what kind of work you'd be willing to do (you may not have a lot of choices) and assess whether or not it's worth the debt.

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 05:16:39 PM »
Roald's advice is a solid a 2.88 and 152 can get you into a few law schools and once your in an ABA school the LSAT will be a distant memory. However, as Roald suggests the LSAT is nothing compared to a law school exam and certainly not the bar and those are all standardized tests if you really hate doing that then you may not enjoy law school or at least not the first year.

I personally loved law school and although I had slighly better numbers than you they were not amazing and realistically very few people have 3.5 and 165 LSATS. Plenty of people claim to have amazing scores on anonymous internet forums such as this, but you can really say anything on here without repercussion. I could claim to the Valedictorian from Harvard, bench 400 lbs, have dominated Lebron James in basketball, and whatever else I feel like say without repercussion and many people on boards like this talk out of their a** so take everything you read on boards such as this one or others regarding law school, the legal profession, etc with a major grain of salt.

Hopefully you improve slightly to ensure your admission and possibly get some scholarship money. I really don't think there is any penalty for taking the LSAT multiple times anymore, but check with the schools if that is correct you have nothing to worry about on this test administration it is an everything to gain nothing to lose scenario good luck.