Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GPS 2.1 LSAT 169  (Read 1866 times)

DrDizni

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: GPS 2.1 LSAT 169
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 03:15:02 AM »
Almost everything is plead, I live it trust me. A lot people don't know that they have a fighting chance in a trial  because of public defender quickness to avoid a trial. Most don't even read the specifics of the case before a plea is made. The buddy buddy system is alive and well with the DA and the public defenders office, and no one would publicly admit to this, but it is a fact. Some are guilty and I agree should take a plea, but when you scare uneducated defendants into taking pleas, with long sentences of 5 - 10 years most would take a plea rather than gamble because they don't know they have a better chance at trial, and the court appointed attorney advise them to take a plea. You can predict what will go on in a court room just by sitting there for a day or two with alarming accuracy. They have become victims of cookie cutter law!

It's sad but true!

avarist

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 10:32:53 AM »
Almost everything is plead, I live it trust me. A lot people don't know that they have a fighting chance in a trial  because of public defender quickness to avoid a trial. Most don't even read the specifics of the case before a plea is made. The buddy buddy system is alive and well with the DA and the public defenders office, and no one would publicly admit to this, but it is a fact. Some are guilty and I agree should take a plea, but when you scare uneducated defendants into taking pleas, with long sentences of 5 - 10 years most would take a plea rather than gamble because they don't know they have a better chance at trial, and the court appointed attorney advise them to take a plea. You can predict what will go on in a court room just by sitting there for a day or two with alarming accuracy. They have become victims of cookie cutter law!

It's sad but true!

What do you mean you "live it"? ???
Are you the court janitor or something? (or just an offender yourself)

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »
You can predict what will go on in a court room just by sitting there for a day or two with alarming accuracy. They have become victims of cookie cutter law!

It sounds like you had some bad experiences with PDs who were quick to get a plea, and I can understand your frustration. Most PDs I've known, however, are very dedicated to their clients and really want to help. If they think they can win at trial, they go to trial. If not, they look for a bargain.

One thing you'll figure out very quickly once you're a lawyer is that clients are terrible at estimating their chances at trial. They don't understand the system, the restrictions on evidence, and the elements necessary to establish a crime or liability. Your clients will routinely think that you're doing a bad job, even though you got them the best deal in the universe.