Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GPS 2.1 LSAT 169  (Read 1995 times)

DrDizni

• View Profile
    • Email
GPS 2.1 LSAT 169
« on: October 01, 2012, 11:34:20 PM »
I've gotten a 169 of my lsat but my gpa is low at 2.1,  because at one point in time I wanted to design engines that would work in outer space and wasted much of my college career attempting to pass physic and calc. I'm almost 40 and I've had a really crappy life rasing my brothers after my parents death that would make a good ABC afterschool special  if they still showed them  ;D. I'm wondering would I still a have a shot at attend a t1 or t2 law school given my age and background. When I say crappy life plz assume the mid worst.

avarist

• View Profile
Re: GPS 2.1 LSAT 169
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 01:25:16 AM »
I see the suspicious trends of a lazy alt making troll................. :P

DrDizni

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 11:24:07 AM »
What? I'm being very serious and I'm not an alt...

avarist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 12:20:08 PM »
fine (he says knowing better but bored enough to play along)

no you don't qualify.

you can make fullride (no tuition owed) at many T4 schools though. (cooley,whittier,etc)

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 04:22:01 PM »
I'm wondering would I still a have a shot at attend a t1 or t2 law school given my age and background.

The short answer is yes, you have a chance. You're a splitter (low GPA/high LSAT), and that makes things unpredictable. However, especially at age 40, you need to consider the cost/benefit of accruing $100K+ debt in order to attend a T1 or T2. With a 169 LSAT you may get accepted to a few lower-ranked T1s and several T2s, but you likely won't get much in the way of scholarships. Consider the fact that since you won't be attending an elite school anyway, you may be better off minimizing your debt and accepting a scholarship at a T4.

DrDizni

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 06:33:31 PM »
It seems that cost is the issue and may people I've talked to have pushed the issue of $$$$ over quality of education. $$$ isn't an issue with me when it comes to my education.  I'd work my a$$ off if that is what it took. I have no interest in BIG FIRM law, or any remote dreams that will  give me a 100K salary. I can do that without the law degree in 1 years time, owning a strip club, a bar, or a gym. My concern is that will I be looked down upon because of my background. I finally have the time to purse something that I have always wanted to pursue and in return help alot of low income people survive our unjust legal system. If I had a degree today I could make 80k+ with just the people I know who need help, real help.

All I hear is the cost the cost the cost, and it is a shame that it comes down that when choosing. I want the best education, one that will prepare me for the challanges to help other people, not as a will writer, or a DA or public pretender somewhere pleading every single case they come across because they lack 1. the balls and 2.the courage to fight for what is right. I'm a victim of that type of law and many of my friends who can't afford an attorney that will fight for you because they don't have big wallets.

So that being said will i possibly get into a quality school, or should i just kick back and start a firm and hire attorneys to do what i need to be done. I don't believe that it takes a big firm to make huge changes, it take people with genuine heart and desire to make a difference . I've been homeless for a number of years with my brothers on the streets and have fought hard to just eat. Today I'm smarter and wiser to know or at least I think the quality of education at a t1 is better than a t4. Or atleast you would think.

avarist

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 08:06:30 PM »
If you have no interest in being in a big firm, then I'd aim for wherever gives you a fullride based on your lsat. Other than getting into said big firms the education is virtually a xerox copy.

DrDizni

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 09:24:20 PM »
Thank you for that, I didn't want to waste time if it is just a xerox copy. So should I concentrate on accepting admission from a school in the state  that I want to practice?

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »
In the city, state, or region where you want to practice should be the focus of your hunt for schools. Schools that place best where you want to practice should be at the top of the list, then narrowed down based on cost of attendance. Don't forget to network your ass off with local attorneys starting day one of 1L. Find and join a local Inn of the Court, and show up for their meetings religiously.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 12:03:10 AM »
It seems that cost is the issue and may people I've talked to have pushed the issue of $$$$ over quality of education. $$$ isn't an issue with me when it comes to my education.

The reason people talk about the cost is because it's a huge issue. Imagine all the costs associated with starting a law practice: office space, malpractice insurance, bar dues, Lexis/Westlaw access. Now drop another $1500 a month on top of that for loan payments. It can make or break you. I have a buddy who went to Michigan (top ten) and told me he wishes he had accepted a scholarship at local T2 instead, his payments are so high.

As far as the quality of education, legal education has been standardized to an amazing degree. The education you receive at one ABA school is pretty much identical to all other ABA schools. Places like Harvard and Yale focus more on policy, but that's about it. The whole point of ABA accreditation is to create uniformity and predictability in legal education. Most of your clients won't know the difference between a T1 and a T4, and won't care. As IrrX said, focus on getting into school in the city you want to practice in. If you can get a scholarship a local school, all the better.

I want the best education, one that will prepare me for the challanges to help other people, not as a will writer, or a DA or public pretender somewhere pleading every single case they come across because they lack 1. the balls and 2.the courage to fight for what is right.

Just so you know, the public defenders don't plea bargain cases because they lack balls. They plea bargain cases because their clients are usually guilty, have tons of evidence against them, know nothing about the law, and think that a Casey Anthony style miracle is gonna happen at trial. The plea is usually the best deal the client can possibly get. Some private practice attorneys go to trial because they get paid more for a trial, not because they have bigger nads. Often they end up negotiating the same plea bargain that a PD could've gotten for free.