Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A question about applying for law school with an undergraduate in science  (Read 1905 times)

avarist

• View Profile
Re: A question about applying for law school with an undergraduate in science
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 12:11:01 AM »
Also, I am considering changing my major to support a better GPA any idea on how this will affect my performance?
If you keep your lsat score high and GPA above a 3.0 you should be fine at most places.

If you want the joint degree, you have to make sure to have the right undergrad major (unlike the JD which allows any major, the medical majors tend to require specific undergrads) plus the admissions test for that program too apply.

I will find some links to provide as examples (but assume there are others I missed)

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 12:26:35 PM »
If you want the joint degree, you have to make sure to have the right undergrad major (unlike the JD which allows any major, the medical majors tend to require specific undergrads) plus the admissions test for that program too apply.

Even the less competitive M.D. programs ususally require around a 3.5 GPA (hard science degree) and top 10% MCAT. Entirely different ball of wax than law school admissions.

avarist

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »

Even the less competitive M.D. programs ususally require around a 3.5 GPA (hard science degree) and top 10% MCAT. Entirely different ball of wax than law school admissions.
I hadn't looked into the admissions requirments for the MD part, but it seems logical. You can fix a misswritten file a lot easier than a misgiven bloodtype infusion............... :o I can see how the standard would be higher.

Nathaniel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My heavy metal band's Myspace site
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 04:59:19 PM »
so why not go to medschool now instead?

Because I like the argumentation and wordplay.  In addition, I chose to go to law school because of the money-making factor.  I mean, although the University of Southern California isn't T-14, I can make at least 100,000-1,000,000 dollars a year now--and I didn't even graduate!  Although, I wonder if I owe that to either my LSAT score, 166, or other factors.  I bet going to 'SC plays at least a marginal role in my vast money-making ability.   
The University of Maine '07
USC Law Dropout '07