Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tax Attorney opinions  (Read 11830 times)

tmuell33

• View Profile
    • Email
Tax Attorney opinions
« on: September 14, 2012, 08:03:15 PM »
Just to give a brief about myself, I'm an accounting graduate student at a low-tier school. I will have passed my CPAs by the end of the school year.

I'm realizing more and more how fascinated I am by law. I know law school will be rigorous and stressful, but it's something I feel like I would thoroughly enjoy learning.

Also what I'm realizing more is that the more I work, the less I like to deal with people. I'm not saying I want to sit in a cubicle all day, but I'm definitely not the guy who wants to get up and give speeches in front of people.

Do any of you think there are (tax) law jobs that I should research more that will require less social interaction?

Tim

cooley3L

Re: Tax Attorney opinions
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:12:42 PM »
many CPAs also get a JD.

You can probably earn an ok living without one, but it will for sure allow you do a lot more for your clients that you could not legally do without it.

SoCalLawGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 03:41:23 AM »
Many attorneys who work in big law firms usually have little interaction with people outside the office but you'll have to work really hard to get there.

HolmesBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 11:10:36 AM »
Honestly, you sound like the perfect associate for many tax law departments.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 04:23:44 PM »
Just to give a brief about myself, I'm an accounting graduate student at a low-tier school. I will have passed my CPAs by the end of the school year.

I'm realizing more and more how fascinated I am by law. I know law school will be rigorous and stressful, but it's something I feel like I would thoroughly enjoy learning.

Also what I'm realizing more is that the more I work, the less I like to deal with people. I'm not saying I want to sit in a cubicle all day, but I'm definitely not the guy who wants to get up and give speeches in front of people.

Do any of you think there are (tax) law jobs that I should research more that will require less social interaction?

Tim

Almost all partners in tax groups have client interaction.  Fortunately, the interaction is usually with business owners or the elderly. 

My only caveat is that tax law is a pretty small world, and you aren't guaranteed a spot, even as a CPA.  Most tax groups outside of large firms are actually paired with estate planning groups.
If you go into litigation on the tax and estate side, you might have more opportunities, but you'll have to interact with more people.

What type of work would you like to do that you can't do with a CPA?

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 04:54:27 PM »
Isn't tax also one of the few areas where an LL.M is often preferred (or even required)?

jaycube

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 01:12:36 AM »
This is good LLM still have some good areas to work, this is just a another way to create your carrier.