Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Novus Law School  (Read 3523 times)

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Novus Law School
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 06:19:58 PM »
They're not breaking any laws.

They are not.  Just like any other scam, however, they are counting on the few people who won't do their research.  You really can't blame the school.  Some responsibility needs to taken by the people giving these institutions money.  I really think some people view these schools as the "easy" way to become a lawyer not realizing how much more difficult it will be fore them later on.  Then again, maybe not since they still won't have a job but will have less debt? 

cooley3L

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 08:39:31 PM »

lawguy2b

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 04:40:05 PM »
To clarify-I went to Concord Law School one year.  After that one year, I switched and went to Novus completing their requirements to graduate in two years.  I did not take the Baby Bar, I was not interested in taking any bar exam, I am retired.  I do work as a paralegal and the course work between the two schools has helped me in my job as a paralegal.  My work on a criminal case resulted in a not guilty verdict for our client.  Novus does have two accreditations and yes-As a retired college professor I am aware of their non ABA status.  My work was supervised by a Juris Doctorate, won't give his name out without permission.  It is up to each individual to decide the path they want to take-And the ABA is nothing more than a dues collecting organization.  A state Supreme Court judge, where I live, does not believe that online school graduates should be kept from taking the bar just because they are not graduating from an ABA school.
JUSTICE HEIPLE, dissenting:

By the amendment to Rule 711 and by Rule 703, which was previously adopted, this court recognizes only law schools which have been approved by the American Bar Association. I both dissent and object to these rules because they represent an improper delegation of a governmental and judicial function to a trade association of lawyers.

The American Bar Association is a voluntary association of dues paying lawyers (currently $225 per annum) that exists for the benefit of its members. No lawyer is required to belong. Most do not. It clothes its parochial existence with an overlay of public activities and pronouncements designed to convince the general public that it is interested in the general welfare. That its primary focus is the benefit of its members, however, is beyond question. That the American Bar Association is a trade association warrants neither commendation nor condemnation. As a trade association engaging in improving the status of lawyers and lobbying Congress and the State legislatures, it is on a par with any other trade association. It is decidedly not, however, an arm of the State of Illinois nor of this court.

It is improper for this court to assign and delegate to that organization the ultimate decisionmaking function of deciding for the State of Illinois which law schools warrant official recognition. It would be proper, of course, for this court and its Board of Law Examiners (now, Board of Admissions to the Bar) to consider and weigh the evaluations of the American Bar Association in considering which law schools are to be approved. The work of the American Bar Association in evaluating law schools could be considered as relevant evidence in that regard. No objection could be raised to that procedure.

This court, however, has no right to delegate its decisionmaking function to the American Bar Association, the Teamsters Union, the Republic of Uganda or any other such body or group. If the rule asserts a valid principle of law, then this court could as well assign all of its decisionmaking functions to others who might be considered experts in their field.

For the reasons given, I respectfully dissent.

cooley3L

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 06:36:31 PM »
To clarify-I went to Concord Law School one year.  After that one year, I switched and went to Novus completing their requirements to graduate in two years.  I did not take the Baby Bar, I was not interested in taking any bar exam, I am retired.  I do work as a paralegal and the course work between the two schools has helped me in my job as a paralegal.  My work on a criminal case resulted in a not guilty verdict for our client.  Novus does have two accreditations and yes-As a retired college professor I am aware of their non ABA status.  My work was supervised by a Juris Doctorate, won't give his name out without permission.  It is up to each individual to decide the path they want to take-And the ABA is nothing more than a dues collecting organization.  A state Supreme Court judge, where I live, does not believe that online school graduates should be kept from taking the bar just because they are not graduating from an ABA school.
JUSTICE HEIPLE, dissenting:

By the amendment to Rule 711 and by Rule 703, which was previously adopted, this court recognizes only law schools which have been approved by the American Bar Association. I both dissent and object to these rules because they represent an improper delegation of a governmental and judicial function to a trade association of lawyers.

The American Bar Association is a voluntary association of dues paying lawyers (currently $225 per annum) that exists for the benefit of its members. No lawyer is required to belong. Most do not. It clothes its parochial existence with an overlay of public activities and pronouncements designed to convince the general public that it is interested in the general welfare. That its primary focus is the benefit of its members, however, is beyond question. That the American Bar Association is a trade association warrants neither commendation nor condemnation. As a trade association engaging in improving the status of lawyers and lobbying Congress and the State legislatures, it is on a par with any other trade association. It is decidedly not, however, an arm of the State of Illinois nor of this court.

It is improper for this court to assign and delegate to that organization the ultimate decisionmaking function of deciding for the State of Illinois which law schools warrant official recognition. It would be proper, of course, for this court and its Board of Law Examiners (now, Board of Admissions to the Bar) to consider and weigh the evaluations of the American Bar Association in considering which law schools are to be approved. The work of the American Bar Association in evaluating law schools could be considered as relevant evidence in that regard. No objection could be raised to that procedure.

This court, however, has no right to delegate its decisionmaking function to the American Bar Association, the Teamsters Union, the Republic of Uganda or any other such body or group. If the rule asserts a valid principle of law, then this court could as well assign all of its decisionmaking functions to others who might be considered experts in their field.

For the reasons given, I respectfully dissent.
???
So, first you go from saying that it allowed you to sit the bar to saying that you didn't even take the fybx because you are retired and didn't want to sit any bar? -WTF?!?!?! (are you even trying to keep up with yourself here?)

It appears you tried to cover your tracks by saying that is "allowed you to become a paralegal" and that you somehow think that is the practice of law.

You mention working under a Juris Doctorate (come on dude, really) First if someone where to use that title they would say "Juris Doctor" second no lawyer would go by that period, third if comparing it to schools like Novus it wouldn't mean he was even licensed, and fourth it would imply that by comparison you are saying you DON'T have a JD (defeats your core argument) And of course it was "supervised" otherwise it would have been illegal. It was HIS work, not yours, HIS, he just let you help.

Not to even mention that you can be a paralegal without Novus (or any other paper) and that if your employer did require college that your past as an alleged college Prof would imply the other qualifications were the weight that made it possible (not Novus)

Which begs the questions, where were you a Prof and what other education do you have and from where? (I suspect less than a Harvard Phd)

And then you quote a dissent as if it is proof anything? Do you even know what a dissent is?

You are either a troll, or the only proof anyone would ever need to know not to attend where you claim to have gone.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 08:25:44 PM »
 "Novus does have two accreditations "  and both are bogus.

Here is the truth:

"NOVUS UNIVERSITY IS INCORPORATED UNDER THE LAWS OF THE MARSHALL ISLANDS. NOVUS UNIVERSITY IS A PRIVATE POSTSECONDARY DEGREE GRANTING EDUCATIONAL CORPORATION AND ALL DEGREES ARE GRANTED BY NOVUS UNIVERSITY OF THE MARSHALL ISLANDS ,UNDER ITS  CORPORATE CHARTER AND THE AUTHORITY OF ITS BOARD OF DIRECTORS. NOVUS UNIVERSITY/NOVUS LAW SCHOOL OFFERS INSTRUCTION ONLINE ONLY AND WEB-BASED AND NOT IN ANY COUNTRY, STATE OR POLITICAL ENTITY. NOVUS UNIVERSITY/NOVUS LAW SCHOOL IS NOT ACCREDITED BY THE AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION."

Got that - a so called school incorporated offshore. http://www.novus.edu/generalinfo/terms_of_use.htm

here are the so called accredting  agencies:

http://www.novus.edu/generalinfo/member.htm

cooley3L

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 09:27:15 PM »
I bet they both only exist on the Novus laptop.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2012, 10:01:26 AM »
USDLA exists, anyone can join, it is a lobbying not accrediting organization:

http://www.usdla.org/become-a-member/

Same with CAEL, so the organizations are not fake, its just they do not accredit.

It would be like claiming your AARP membership makes you a lawyer.

cooley3L

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
USDLA exists, anyone can join, it is a lobbying not accrediting organization:

http://www.usdla.org/become-a-member/

Same with CAEL, so the organizations are not fake, its just they do not accredit.

It would be like claiming your AARP membership makes you a lawyer.
makes you wonder why they even try that hard. Anyone willing to fall for NOVUS would fall for an absolute fake accrediting that they created on their own too. I doubt anyone is on the fence and goes, "oh wait, I know that company and now I trust these guys".

jaycube

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 01:45:46 AM »
There are some laws they are not obeying because of some strong connections in the ministries.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 06:30:59 PM »
A law school with no  one qualified to practice law associated wiht it, is violating the law of rational thought.