Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Novus Law School  (Read 4514 times)

lawguy2b

• View Profile
Novus Law School
« on: September 02, 2012, 01:46:09 PM »
I just graduated from Novus Law School-non-ABA or accredited- in August 2012.  The school fit my needs and I work as a paralegal for a law firm.  I do everything an attorney does but go to court and give legal advice. This school is not for everyone so read carefully.  You could take the bar exam in some states, so read the requirements.  My experience was good, no problems with the staff or school getting assignments graded.  I spent one year at Concord Law School which allows you to take the CA Bar Exam.  Look at the success rate of passing the exam-low.  Oakbrook Law School would be my choice for cost and bar passing rate if you want to take the CA bar.  I was not interested in taking the bar at age 65-nor to take on that much debt-so I switched to Novus.  My experience was good at Novus, you learn what you put into the program.  I am a retired college professor and self-directed learning was my focus while a professor, to fit the needs of a non-traditional student. You must be disciplined to get through any self-study program, Novus and all the online schools are  a real challenge for those who aren't-so be aware of the challenge to complete the program at Novus in two years, I did complete in two years.  I hope this answers questions about Novus Law School.

cooley3L

Re: Novus Law School
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 05:17:49 PM »
You are saying that you went to Novus and then just one year at Concord and they let you take the state bar? Never heard that in my life. Can you provide a link to where the state of CA shows they allow this method?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 10:22:13 PM »
 :o A retired college professor would have realized Novus in an unaccredited offshore diploma mill perhaps?

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 01:01:00 PM »
 For someone like the OP, who does not intend to practice law, such a program might be fine to learn something about the law. My issue (as always) is that if the program is not accredited by the ABA or a state bar, then it's difficult to ascertain whether or not the education is up to snuff. Is it rigorous? Does it abide by minimally acceptable academic standards? With an accredited school the consumer knows what their getting, with unaccredited programs there is less certainty. There are exceptions of course, such as Taft and Oak Brook, which seem to have better reputations than other unaccredited schools.

Personally, I believe that absent ABA or state bar accreditation these schools should not be permitted to grant J.D.s. I think it misleads the public, who associate the granting of a law degree with certain academic standards and admissions requirements.

You are saying that you went to Novus and then just one year at Concord and they let you take the state bar? Never heard that in my life. Can you provide a link to where the state of CA shows they allow this method?

The CA bar allows different paths to bar admission that other states don't. One method is graduation from an unaccredited school that is registered with the CA bar. Novus is not registered with the CA bar, but Concord is, and the Calbar website says something like a "combination" of methods may be used to gain bar admission. It's also possible that a Novus grad can qualify under the attorney-assisted study method. 

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 08:16:36 PM »
And who exactly is Novus?  Is there even a single attorney associated with the school, if not, how can it purport to grant a JD?  Just because they say they are a law school does not make them one.

cooley3L

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 04:56:31 PM »
For someone like the OP, who does not intend to practice law, such a program might be fine to learn something about the law. My issue (as always) is that if the program is not accredited by the ABA or a state bar, then it's difficult to ascertain whether or not the education is up to snuff. Is it rigorous? Does it abide by minimally acceptable academic standards? With an accredited school the consumer knows what their getting, with unaccredited programs there is less certainty. There are exceptions of course, such as Taft and Oak Brook, which seem to have better reputations than other unaccredited schools.

Personally, I believe that absent ABA or state bar accreditation these schools should not be permitted to grant J.D.s. I think it misleads the public, who associate the granting of a law degree with certain academic standards and admissions requirements.

The CA bar allows different paths to bar admission that other states don't. One method is graduation from an unaccredited school that is registered with the CA bar. Novus is not registered with the CA bar, but Concord is, and the Calbar website says something like a "combination" of methods may be used to gain bar admission. It's also possible that a Novus grad can qualify under the attorney-assisted study method.
still wouldn't meet the requirments. He would have had to sit the FYBX. He didn't mention that at all. Just another attempt at Novus to lie and sucker in recruits. If they waste a few posts per username and make a few grand of even just one sucker, then it is worth it to them. (since it is not even a school and probably just one or two scam artists anyways) I would rather risk sending money to that "rich uncle in africa" that spams every now and then.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 07:48:29 PM »
Novus is a notorius diploma mill:

http://www.geteducated.com/diploma-mill-police/degree-mills-list/novus-university-accreditation

Yet not a single state bar goes after them, I guess the state bars are too busy protecting us from properly licensed non ABA attorneys.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 09:50:51 PM »
If a "law school" is not accredited by any recognized accrediting agency, or registered with the California State Bar, under whose authority does it grant degrees?

Where on earth is the ABA and the state bar?

I'm increasingly convinced that we need to move in the direction of Germany on this issue. Germany has restricted the commercial and professional use of terms such as "university". Only accredited institutions meeting specific criteria can call themselves universities and grant degrees. Other institutions can only grant certificates, etc. Individuals can only legally claim degrees earned from legit schools.

We've allowed the definition of university, law school, doctorate, etc to become so watered down that pretty much anybody can start issuing Ph.Ds from their garage and it's fine. Call me old fashioned, but I think earning a Ph.D should mean more than sending $5000 to an offshore account. It's stupid, and undermines the value of an education.

cooley3L

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 02:13:19 PM »
If a "law school" is not accredited by any recognized accrediting agency, or registered with the California State Bar, under whose authority does it grant degrees?

Where on earth is the ABA and the state bar?

I'm increasingly convinced that we need to move in the direction of Germany on this issue. Germany has restricted the commercial and professional use of terms such as "university". Only accredited institutions meeting specific criteria can call themselves universities and grant degrees. Other institutions can only grant certificates, etc. Individuals can only legally claim degrees earned from legit schools.

We've allowed the definition of university, law school, doctorate, etc to become so watered down that pretty much anybody can start issuing Ph.Ds from their garage and it's fine. Call me old fashioned, but I think earning a Ph.D should mean more than sending $5000 to an offshore account. It's stupid, and undermines the value of an education.
It claims to be based in the Marshall Islands (where it has a bank account and a license to be a business) but the owner lives in CA.
She should be arrested, but she won't.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 03:20:12 PM »
They're not breaking any laws.