Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfers and Drop Outs  (Read 4374 times)

cerealkiller

• View Profile
Transfers and Drop Outs
« on: August 28, 2012, 10:43:03 AM »
I'm trying to anticipate whether my class rank will move up or down after the dust has settled following the transfers and drops.  I know a good portion of the top students have transferred out following great 1L grades.  But I've also noticed that a number of folks have dropped out.  I presume those who dropped were at the bottom of the class.

So here's my question: do you think that more students transfer than drop after the first year or vice versa?   

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transfers and Drop Outs
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 11:14:19 AM »
I don't know what school you're at, so it's impossible to say. Generally, though, the number of students who transfer out is small. I'd bet that academic attrition/voluntary dropouts outweigh transfers.

cerealkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 11:44:51 AM »
Good point.  I'm at a T4 school.  I think people who are presented the opportunity will transfer to higher-ranked schools.  I know of two top students in particular who transferred.  One went to Boston University; the other went to Hastings.

I'm currently top 15%.  I'm by no means bragging.  Being near the top of the class at a bottom-of-the-barrel school isn't something over which to pound one's chest.  But I would hate to drop in class rank because the mouthbreathers at the bottom couldn't hang.  Like it or not, however, this appears to be a strong possibility.

cooley3L

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 12:27:19 PM »
I'd just focus on getting your GPA to a 4.0 and getting a scholarship.

SoCalLawGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 05:15:09 AM »
I think after you settle in at a school it's more likely to drop out rather than transfer. Transferring requires accommodation, lots of paperwork and it's not really something a law school student has time for.

cooley3L

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »
I think after you settle in at a school it's more likely to drop out rather than transfer. Transferring requires accommodation, lots of paperwork and it's not really something a law school student has time for.
I'd say more apply than get it. Applying is the easy part. It's really not that much effort to apply.