Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Character and Fitness  (Read 1759 times)

Mooseman

• View Profile
    • Email
Character and Fitness
« on: August 22, 2012, 07:54:28 PM »
I know it's been asked 1000 times, but I'm wondering if anyone has any input regarding the affect of a simple alcohol write-up in law school admissions.

Freshman year I was written up and put on disciplinary probation for a month for being "in the presence of alcohol" in a dorm. No further citations or problems, strong student with strong credentials at a top 25 undergraduate university. I've even taken classes at a top 25 law school (and received A's) as an undergrad taking part in a special program.

I plan to briefly disclose the violation (it was dumb, I learned from it, blah blah blah...) even though my university doesn't deem the offense "reportable." I figure it is better to be safe than sorry.

However, does anyone know how much (if any) affect this will have on applications to schools like UCLA, USC, BU, BC, Loyola, Pepperdine, etc? Will they look favorably on candor? Any input is much appreciated. Thank you!!!

Henri_Allen

• View Profile
    • Estate and Succession Planning
Re: Character and Fitness
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »
It would probably be more likely to hurt you at Pepperdine, which is a dry campus, and LMU (assuming that's the Loyola you're talking about) than at the others.  Those schools are more conservative and therefore more likely to decline a student with an alcohol related write up.

Mooseman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 04:24:41 PM »
It would probably be more likely to hurt you at Pepperdine, which is a dry campus, and LMU (assuming that's the Loyola you're talking about) than at the others.  Those schools are more conservative and therefore more likely to decline a student with an alcohol related write up.

I can see your point regarding Pepperdine but I feel (or at least hope) that attending a major Catholic university would help with Loyola, it being Catholic as well. I guess time will tell.

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 09:34:17 PM »
Honestly this will have little to no effect on your application status. I have known people that have been arrested for DUI's, convicted of misdemeanors, and a wide number of other things. If getting drunk in a college dorm freshman year is your dark secret your doing pretty well for yourself. Realistically the only way this could possibly effect you is if you don't disclose it.

However, I am only an anonymous internet poster as is anyone else on this board or others so I could be 100% wrong, but I have been found morally fit to practice law by more than one state bar so I do have a shred of credibility and I did worse things than drink as a freshman.

Worry about your GPA, LSAT score, personal statement, etc and disclose this incident and you will be fine. Good luck to you.

Mooseman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:59:54 PM »
Honestly this will have little to no effect on your application status. I have known people that have been arrested for DUI's, convicted of misdemeanors, and a wide number of other things. If getting drunk in a college dorm freshman year is your dark secret your doing pretty well for yourself. Realistically the only way this could possibly effect you is if you don't disclose it.

However, I am only an anonymous internet poster as is anyone else on this board or others so I could be 100% wrong, but I have been found morally fit to practice law by more than one state bar so I do have a shred of credibility and I did worse things than drink as a freshman.

Worry about your GPA, LSAT score, personal statement, etc and disclose this incident and you will be fine. Good luck to you.

Many thanks!

Nathaniel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My heavy metal band's Myspace site
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 03:14:50 PM »
When I was in college, I smoked pot.  The first time was in Hawai'i--atUH-Manoa--in a dormitory.  The second was at a house in Maine.  I don't know if I was written up or not.  But I did that and then got into The University of Southern Californa Law. 
The University of Maine '07
USC Law Dropout '07

cooley3L

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2012, 04:58:56 PM »
When I was in college, I smoked pot.  The first time was in Hawai'i--atUH-Manoa--in a dormitory.  The second was at a house in Maine.  I don't know if I was written up or not.  But I did that and then got into The University of Southern Californa Law.

Since you don't even know if it was written up, I take it you failed to disclose it? (admissions only looks at what you tell them, the bar looks at the rest during actual character&fitness which is what he was asking about)

geeknfresh

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 06:58:29 PM »
I have a very similar concern. I don't want to high jack the discussion, but I feel my question is related. I have come to a stand still when it comes to explaining my arrest for public intoxication. I know that I need to describe when and where and the circumstances surrounding my arrest, but I don't want to seem dismissive or defensive. Any input or insight on how to effectively convey what happened while still showing growth and maturity since?