Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LLB as a 'leg-up' for JD application?  (Read 924 times)

Legal11B

• View Profile
    • Email
LLB as a 'leg-up' for JD application?
« on: August 22, 2012, 06:56:26 PM »
Hello All,

Background: I'm currently an infantryman in the United States Army, but I'd be interested in pursuing a less dangerous vocation once my contract expires. Many of my academic and personal strengths seem to match up with those frequently associated with law, so I thought I would look into it. My standardized test scores and the feedback I've received from my professors throughout college (seem to) indicate that I have a relatively high verbal intelligence, and ceteris paribus, let's assume that I'm cut out to be a lawyer (i.e., I'll do as well on my LSATs as I did on the SATs, I'll be able to perform well in the grad/J.D. programs I take, &c.).

I have a problem, though: I didn't do terribly while studying for the Philosophy B.A. (UGPA = 2.50) I earned at a well-known liberal arts college.

(1) I'm looking for a grad school or other option to help set myself apart and apply to a good J.D. program.
(1.1) I'd prefer that whatever post-grad education I take doesn't eat up my entire salary or G.I. Bill, both of which I am attempting to either save for my J.D. or use on undergrad loans.
(2) I'm considering the UoL External LLB program, as my primary credential to show that academics is not a weakness for me as a student (i.e., to compensate for my UGPA) and that I can 'do' law school.

Why UoL External LLB? As an infantryman, I'll have considerable--if irregular--'down-time' to stare at my PDA or smartphone. I have a 5-year contract, significant leave, and down-time in which to attempt the LLB course of study. More traditional brick-and-mortar grad programs might be (a) inaccessible to me because of my UGPA, (b) physically inaccessible to me because of my career, or (c) useless, ultimately, because many J.D. programs wouldn't be too impressed by an expensive, academically anonymous philosophy M.A.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this program?

Does anyone have any thoughts or criticisms for my plan?
Specifically, would anyone happen to know if admissions departments for upper-tier J.D. programs would see an LLB earned from UoL External in the manner I'd attempt to present it?

Any better ideas?

Thank you.

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LLB as a 'leg-up' for JD application?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:44:18 PM »
I do not think that you will see much upside from earning another degree as a way of mitigating a low undergrad GPA. Most of those who have applied with a graduate degree under their belts report that their application cycle went nearly as expected based on UGPA and LSAT.

My suggestion would be to but in extra effort on the LSAT and do what you can to ensure the best score that you can pull from the test, then give it a go.

Happy Hunting,

Legal11B

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:21:33 PM »
Thank you, sir.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 10:06:18 AM »
LLB is good for a solicitor's training contract in England - the English legal system is similar but definitely not the same as in the US.

HolmesBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:57:06 AM »
I'd devote significant time to studying for the LSAT. Often, work and life experience and a great LSAT score can mitigate the effects of a poor UGPA. There are several online LSAT courses available (e.g., Testmasters, Kaplan, Princeton Review, Powerscore, Blue Print, Velocity). Also, the Powerscore bibles are considered a great resource for studying.

Good luck with whatever you decide!