Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My chances  (Read 1800 times)

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: My chances
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 06:20:17 PM »
As I said before, work experience (especially non-legal) will be a soft factor at best. If you are on the cusp it may help push you into the "admit" category.  The main point, though, is that you need to be numerically competitive in order for the soft factors to count. I had nearly ten years of legal and scientific career experience when I applied. My resume was many magnitudes stronger than the average 22 year old applicant who worked at Quizno's for a semester. Nonetheless, my offers of admission and denials were totally predictable based on GPA/LSAT alone.

A high (or low) LSAT score will make your resume almost irrelevant. I know that's not especially encouraging, but it seems to be true. 

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 06:50:11 PM »
This may be a bit of a rant, but nonetheless.

The LSAT drives everything.  It's crap, but it's true.  Law School Rankings matter, because law school rankings play a significant factor in both the incoming class and the interest of employers.  Schools understand this, so they play the rankings game. 

Here is how the ranking is calculated: http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/articles/2012/03/12/methodology-law-school-rankings

As you can probably see, the ranking system is incestuous.   Employers hire from the school with the best students, the best students go to the school with the best employment prospects, and the schools that pump out the most prestigious lawyers get the best peer assessment. 
As rankings go up, students and employers are attracted to the school.  But its pretty clear that what everyone wants are the best students (not necessarily the best-trained students)  Because the scores are relatively tight between #25 and #75, every point matters, and admissions offices have little immediate incentive to bring in someone with a good career.  They'll use those "soft" factors as a tiebreaker, but they will almost always choose a 163/3.6 with a job at quiznos over a 158/3.1 with an impressive management career.

I think the main reason why is that employers and schools are terrible at evaluating experience.  Resume's, recommendations, and references are so unreliable and almost always inflated.  Work ethic changes over time as well.  Virtually all of the decision makers go for the "hard" factors because they are easier to evaluate and they have an impact on rankings.

dnis913lv

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 06:03:04 PM »
Good thing I go to UNLV... Where I can take classes like Old World Wines, New World Wines, Beers and Spirits... And it counts as upper division electives. I really do appreciate everyone's insight in this conversation!