Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer Income  (Read 1889 times)

wjo9522

• Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
    • Marine Officer
    • Email
Summer Income
« on: August 08, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »
Ladies and Gentlemen:

My law school journey hinges upon an ability to support my family (of six) while attending.  My spouse is a schoolteacher and I will have a decent military pension coming in, but our recent stab at a budget has indicated that health insurance and living expenses will consume a great deal of our assets.  Tuition is free to me under the Illinois Veteran's Grant (in any state funded IL university...my target is UIUC).

I understand that 1Ls are not allowed to work---nor should they, I suppose.  Can someone advise me on what a 1L/2L might expect to earn (if anything) during his or summer internship experience? 

I look forward to the discussion.  Thanks.

Will
William J. Orr
Chief Warrant Officer
US Marine Corps-Active
1993-2015
Semper Fidelis

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Summer Income
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 09:08:50 AM »
How would anyone know if you were working or not? Ideally, 1Ls should not be working but if you have to survive. I am sure it has been done successfully before.  Law school is just school not the priesthood or Army.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 09:10:42 AM »
Paid interneship in today's job market? I hope you can it into JAG when you graduate at least you will have a job then.

wjo9522

• Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
    • Marine Officer
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 09:16:47 AM »
Paid interneship in today's job market? I hope you can it into JAG when you graduate at least you will have a job then.

I'll be retired from the military...hanging up my bars after 22 years.  I've seen enough combat and time away from the family to consider JAG.  Besides, it isn't an option for me due to age.
William J. Orr
Chief Warrant Officer
US Marine Corps-Active
1993-2015
Semper Fidelis

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 12:24:03 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your insurance problems.  I always assumed that school insurance (via your Wife) was cheap even though it has a reputation for being crappy.

Your situation may qualify you for some special cash scholarships, depending on your school.  Some schools also offer summer stipends of 5k-15k to do certain types of work.

The very very fortunate among us can still get a large firm clerkship and make 4000 or so during 1L summer and 6000 or so during 2L summer, but that is so very rare these days.  (I'm a 2011 graduate, and of our Law Review editorial board, only about 1/3 had paid internships)

Your option is to get a job you can handle (I cleaned offices during 1L and made good money), max out grad plus loans, and take advantage of income based repayment.

cooley3L

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 06:31:24 PM »
Even if tuition is free, you can still get student loans to cover living costs.

If you need more (your big family) your spouse can take two BS electives online and get another dose of finaid from that too if from a regional school (community college,etc)

If you are really in need, don't rule out foodstamps either. With a family that big, even a full time earner might still put you into the qualifying range for benefits.

Better to take out loans and be on welfare, then have the "pride" of working and fail out........
The 15 hours is for people with no kids, a max not a minimum. Trust me, even a spouse or just one kid takes a lot of time. Six is a job equal to 15 hours right there (if not way more)

cooley3L

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 06:34:35 PM »
How would anyone know if you were working or not? Ideally, 1Ls should not be working but if you have to survive. I am sure it has been done successfully before.  Law school is just school not the priesthood or Army.

First sentence, worse advice ever. (wow Prof, wtf?)

Second sentence, head on the nail. (if within bar rules of course)

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 08:55:55 PM »
Bar rules? What are you talking about?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 11:03:44 AM »
Bar rules? What are you talking about?

I think Mr. Cooley is referring to the ABA 20 hour work rule, which is the most blatantly abusive rule I've seen in my time.

I had to sign a form each semester promising I wouldn't work more than 20 hours a week.  I asked my school what would happen if I didn't sign and they said I wouldn't be able to graduate.  It only applied to students with 12 credits/semester or more.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 01:19:46 PM »
OP:

Is it possible to attend law school part-time and work during the day? I know that UIUC doesn't have an evening option, but several other ILL law schools do. I went to law school part-time with a wife and kids, and it's difficult, but it can be done. I still managed to graduate with a relatively high class rank, did internships, etc. You need discipline and stamina, which as a 22 year army vet I'm sure you have.

As far as paid internships, good luck. You may be able to score one, but they're few and far between. If you really need to make money, either work and attend at night or take out loans. Personally, considering the state of the job market, I'd look at the part-time option before accruing debt.

Lastly, can you obtain cheap insurance from the VA or from your wife's job? I was under the impression that teachers were eligible for family coverage at low rates. If you have any specific questions about attending law school with a family, feel free to post here or PM me.

Good Luck!