Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer Income  (Read 1844 times)

wjo9522

• Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
    • Marine Officer
    • Email
Re: Summer Income
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 09:05:57 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I'm an incessant planner and I like to see the "bottom line" of things before I jump in with both feet.  I guess my biggest revelation here is that paid summer internships aren't required...nor may they be available. 

I was initially under the impression that ABA rules prohibited work for 1Ls, but I must have read the wrong publication.  http://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_education/resources/standards.html  Chapter 3...Standard 304..."(f) A student may not be employed more than 20 hours per week in any week in
which the student is enrolled in more than twelve class hours."

I have plenty of transferable skills, so I'll be in good shape to shovel poo, or whatever I need to do to avoid LS debt!
William J. Orr
Chief Warrant Officer
US Marine Corps-Active
1993-2015
Semper Fidelis

cooley3L

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 06:30:28 PM »
Bar rules? What are you talking about?
As Jack said, I meant the ABA rules. No doubt you had to obey CBE rules, I just don't want to see people start their law career with the mentality of "but it's ok if I can get away with it, a licensed lawyer and Prof told me so".

If I seem edgy on it, I just took the MPRE. PR is kind of thick on the mind right now. CBE grads still have to take the MPRE right?

cooley3L

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 06:33:53 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I'm an incessant planner and I like to see the "bottom line" of things before I jump in with both feet.  I guess my biggest revelation here is that paid summer internships aren't required...nor may they be available. 

I was initially under the impression that ABA rules prohibited work for 1Ls, but I must have read the wrong publication.  http://www.americanbar.org/groups/legal_education/resources/standards.html  Chapter 3...Standard 304..."(f) A student may not be employed more than 20 hours per week in any week in
which the student is enrolled in more than twelve class hours."

I have plenty of transferable skills, so I'll be in good shape to shovel poo, or whatever I need to do to avoid LS debt!
So I take it you decided to go with the part time schooling option?

wjo9522

• Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
    • Marine Officer
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 08:36:22 PM »
No; full time.  For me its UIUC/Tier I or bust.  I have to attend a state-funded university to get the freebie tuition.
William J. Orr
Chief Warrant Officer
US Marine Corps-Active
1993-2015
Semper Fidelis

cooley3L

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 08:41:51 PM »
No; full time.  For me its UIUC/Tier I or bust.  I have to attend a state-funded university to get the freebie tuition.

well I wish you the best, but with your main career already in the rear view, why does it matter where you go? Is it worth the rest of your life in debt for a bucket list checkoff?