Law Students > General Board

Advice: Is a 1.5 hour commute each way for 1L while parenting 3 kids possible?

<< < (2/3) > >>

EarlCat:
I think the most important question is do you actually want to work as a lawyer?

cooley3L:

--- Quote from: EarlCat on September 10, 2012, 10:21:50 PM ---I think the most important question is do you actually want to work as a lawyer?

--- End quote ---
I don't think that she would have even asked the question if the answer to that wasn't a yes.

EarlCat:

--- Quote from: cooley3L on September 11, 2012, 12:03:54 AM ---
--- Quote from: EarlCat on September 10, 2012, 10:21:50 PM ---I think the most important question is do you actually want to work as a lawyer?

--- End quote ---
I don't think that she would have even asked the question if the answer to that wasn't a yes.

--- End quote ---

Well, she's worried about whether she can manage part-time law school, which, even with a 3-hour commute, would allow her to be home every day around 4 or 4:30.  I don't know of any lawyers enjoying that kind of schedule.

cooley3L:

--- Quote from: EarlCat on September 11, 2012, 11:04:37 AM ---
--- Quote from: cooley3L on September 11, 2012, 12:03:54 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Well, she's worried about whether she can manage part-time law school, which, even with a 3-hour commute, would allow her to be home every day around 4 or 4:30.  I don't know of any lawyers enjoying that kind of schedule.

--- End quote ---
I don't know of any lawyers who are "enjoying" the schedule of any law students period.

Duncanjp:
Wend3,
To succeed in law school takes extraordinary commitment. You're going to have a real balancing act on your hands between paying attention to your kids, paying attention to your husband, and paying attention to your studies. Not to mention making time for yourself. Especially in the beginning. And further, many of your friendships may begin to stagnate. This would prove to be the case even if you had only a 15-minute commute. Three hours a day in your car is an awful lot of time to kill with so many people pulling on you from all directions. That said, commuting doesn't have to be a complete waste of time. You can spend it productively by listening to law lectures and exam approaches. Still, sacrifices will have to be made on all fronts. Your younger kids will not have the attentive mom they want. Your husband will have to run family errands during and after work and monitor the kids while you're holed up in the den preparing for exams. Your studies will have to wait while you attend little league games or whatever. It'll be very tough to compete against the 20-somethings who have nothing to do but drink beer and study contract formation. I suspect the person who will end up sacrificing the most will be your husband. In the priority of interests, it's a natural thing to brush aside one's spouse when the children want attention. Only you can know your own situation, but his full commitment and support will be critical while you're in school. He needs to completely understand that he is going to be replaced by casebooks and "things the professor said" in your life. It'll be easy for him to feel abandoned, ignored, unappreciated and unimportant in your life. Law school is exciting and it's probably healthy not to let your own dreams fall by the wayside in the wake of having children, as often happens. But law school isn't necessarily all you think it's going to be. Here in my third year of study, the true result of law school is coming into focus. Coleridge said it the most eloquently: "A sadder and a wiser man he rose the morrow morn."

Just food for thought. Good luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version