Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer Options?  (Read 3410 times)

Rydney

• View Profile
    • Email
Transfer Options?
« on: July 30, 2012, 11:42:59 PM »
I would love anyone's thoughts on what schools-ABA's-would take me as a transfer student. I have currently fallen below my school's minimum credit hours per term-I'm part time/nontrad/kids/work/blah blah blah-and they have denied my request to be allowed to continue to receive federal aid, which for me is the same as being kicked out. I was not however, kicked out, just can't keep paying out of pocket and hope to be able to transfer somewhere I can get federal aid. Now for the soul crushing part: 2.80 undergrad/147 LSAT-I know, I know, but I didn't want to take that damn thing twice-and a current 2.0 after 39 credit hours in law school. Are there any ABA's that will touch me that anyone knows of? Oh, and spring admissions would be nice too.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer Options?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 01:37:34 AM »
I didn't know that a school could deny you access to federal student loans, I thought that was up to the federal govt? Is your school saying that because you fell below the minimum credits you can't qualify? I seem to remember that my law school required that you be enrolled in at least 9 units, even for parttime.

As far as transferring, unless something changes you're likely to have the same problem at another school that you have at your current school: not enough time. Trust me, I know how it is. Any school you seek to transfer to is probably going to have a minimum credit requirement, and you're back at square one unless you can make some kind of change in your schedule.

I'm not sure where you're located and which school you attend, but even making a lateral transfer (transferring to a school of the same general ranking as your current school) is probably going to be tough with a 2.0. Were you on academic probation at some point? I'm assuming that if your cumulative GPA is 2.0, then you must have had several grades below passing. That will all make transferring very tough.

Another option is to take a leave of absence while you figure out how to manage your schedule, then return to your current school. If you can enroll for the required number of units you should be able to get federal loans again.

Good Luck!

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 02:43:34 PM »
I would also suggest taking a leave of absence.  I am part-time evening and am getting federal student aid with just 9 credits.  Are you currently under 9 credits?  If that's the case and you have just a 2.0, you are better off taking a leave and re-organizing your time so you can do the minimum course load and get your aid.  Find out from your school exactly how much time you can take, rework your schedule, then just stay where you are and try to build up your gpa.  I don't mean to be harsh, but I don't think another ABA school is going to touch you with that gpa especially if you are unable to put in 9 credit hours.  Good luck with whatever you decide. 

cooley3L

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 01:43:42 PM »
I would love anyone's thoughts on what schools-ABA's-would take me as a transfer student. I have currently fallen below my school's minimum credit hours per term-I'm part time/nontrad/kids/work/blah blah blah-and they have denied my request to be allowed to continue to receive federal aid, which for me is the same as being kicked out. I was not however, kicked out, just can't keep paying out of pocket and hope to be able to transfer somewhere I can get federal aid. Now for the soul crushing part: 2.80 undergrad/147 LSAT-I know, I know, but I didn't want to take that damn thing twice-and a current 2.0 after 39 credit hours in law school. Are there any ABA's that will touch me that anyone knows of? Oh, and spring admissions would be nice too.
Transfer from what? A non-ABA school? I think some ABA schools conisider some classes being allowed, but your best bet may be to restart. Your LSAT is good enough for Cooley, it's an option.

cooley3L

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 01:45:16 PM »
I would also suggest taking a leave of absence.  I am part-time evening and am getting federal student aid with just 9 credits.  Are you currently under 9 credits?  If that's the case and you have just a 2.0, you are better off taking a leave and re-organizing your time so you can do the minimum course load and get your aid.  Find out from your school exactly how much time you can take, rework your schedule, then just stay where you are and try to build up your gpa.  I don't mean to be harsh, but I don't think another ABA school is going to touch you with that gpa especially if you are unable to put in 9 credit hours.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

It may depend on if his school was accredited or not. Do you get living expences too? I know that is at the option of the school, even if the fed would approve it. The school picks the amount. Normally the fed pays the school, and the school then pays you (direct deposit or check).

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 05:24:01 PM »

It may depend on if his school was accredited or not. Do you get living expences too? I know that is at the option of the school, even if the fed would approve it. The school picks the amount. Normally the fed pays the school, and the school then pays you (direct deposit or check).

I do get living expenses, but try not to touch it and pay as much as I can on my own.  I'm wondering now also, since the subsidized loans were cut by the federal government if that is also his/her issue.   I barely received enough federal aid to cover my tuition, but could have taken out more money under a credit-based loan, which I didn't want to do.  Although I get living expenses, I don't take it because I work full-time.  As far as accreditation, I did just assume their school was accredited because ABA doesn't allow transfers from unaccredited schools.  Some ABAs may take credits from a state accredited school, but there are very few of them and one generally needs a gpa higher than 2.0 for transfers - at least in California.  I can't speak for any other state. 

Rydney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 12:35:44 AM »
I appreciate the thoughts and wanted to reply just to answer some of the questions that popped up. I am at an ABA accredited school, and yes, I was receiving aid that included living expenses. Taking time off would not help, as even with time off when I came back I would still be without access to any federal aid, and that for me is a deal breaker. I thought about restart as well, but I am not sure how I could qualify as I did not flunk out, although I came damn close. Maybe I should have, I don't know, but how does restart work if someone has not been academically suspended?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 11:56:38 AM »
I'm tempted to call this thread a flame.

If your story is real, I don't see why you would throw good money (or debt) after bad. 

If you were applying for a transfer, what would you argue to convince them your past performance is not an indication of your potential?

Rydney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 01:33:52 PM »
Troll

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 02:30:55 PM »
If you look through my posts you'll see I'm not a troll.

Generally speaking, the answer to your question is no.  There are not any ABA accredited schools that would take your transfer application.  However, in an effort to be helpful, I'd like to know why your past performance is anomalous and not direct evidence of what to expect in the future.

On paper, you are someone who scored at around the 40th percentile on the LSAT.  You are likely somewhere in the bottom quarter of your law school class, and you fell below the minimum credit-hours per term.  Usually, that means you received incompletes or Fs in a class or two.

With the adversity you face, I think it's folly to continue in law school UNLESS you have some clear and concrete career path.   Care to share your career ambitions?