Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reason for going online  (Read 1125 times)

cooley3L

Reason for going online
« on: July 29, 2012, 09:08:28 PM »
I think most people pick online since it allows lower GPA, lower LSAT, more flexible schedule, cheaper.

I say that's fine, but at least apply to a school like cooley first. You can do all weekends on a 5 year plan, get it with a 148 lsat and a 2.0, in theory only a AA is required to apply, and scholarships for anything above a 148. Heck, they even let in DETC grads and felons, and only a 2.0 required to graduate.

I would recommend exploring the option at an ABA one like Cooley first. Gives more options with the ABA label and don't have to take that killer first year bar exam that most flunk

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reason for going online
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 10:27:30 PM »
No question, Cooley is the better option if you are a marginal student since you can bar exam shop.  There is a big difference between a 45% pass rate and a 90% pass rate on a bar.

cooley3L

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:56:29 PM »
I see people post sometimes about they plan to get an online JD and then "change the system" to allow it to be used in their home state. I see that and wonder if they explored all options when I see posts like that.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:46:15 PM »
Bottom line, they still have to pass the California Bar before they can attempt to "change" anything.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 05:11:33 PM »
Nice plug for your website which is a load of crap.

cooley3L

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »
what website? Let me guess the poster erased it already?

I see people do that a lot, if you catch the person again (I missed it) try to copy it in your reply to them so it stays around even if they erase it. What was the link for anyways?

cooley3L

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 01:10:41 PM »
Bottom line, they still have to pass the California Bar before they can attempt to "change" anything.

In CA, but to contest ones home state in letting them sit the bar I don't think it makes any difference if they are licensed anywhere else or not. (unless trying to make the license contingent on being licensed and practicing) I think I've heard of a few winners, but they are few and far between.

Better to just pay for what they are selling, and if you don't want what they are selling don't buy it. Would be my advice to people thinking that anyways. The whole idea of "where there is a will there is a way" is only true if the tools needed are available with that will.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 05:53:04 PM »
If you graduate from a distance learning California law school, there is no petition possible until you pass the California bar.  No other state will recognize the degree until you pass the California bar.  There are no exceptions. I believe the same applies to all unaccredited Californua law schools regardless of whether they are distance or not.

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »
If you graduate from a distance learning California law school, there is no petition possible until you pass the California bar.  No other state will recognize the degree until you pass the California bar.  There are no exceptions. I believe the same applies to all unaccredited Californua law schools regardless of whether they are distance or not.

That is correct.  I don't know of any other popular DL or online schools other than California - please correct me if I am wrong.  You cannot petition any other state to sit for their Bar if you attend a non-ABA school unless/until you pass the California Bar.  Even then, you have to practice for 3 - 5 years before you are allowed to petition in most states.  This is true for even the California state bar approved schools.  Before doing any DL or state-approved law school, you really need to do your homework.  Check out the California Bar website - all the information you need is there.   

Nor-Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 01:20:41 AM »
I was considering law school online, as it's cheaper than the traditional route, and I know I have the maturity and discipline to attend school online. However, as life is a continual learning experience. I recently had the opportunity to hear from a traditional law school alumni who offered a unique insight I would have never considered regarding online law school. A local partner at a prestigious law firm spoke to me about the value of law clinics and gaining experience that online schools don't offer. She stated the job market is flooded with individuals with a law degree and no real world experience. She explained that real world experience is something that cannot be under estimated, as the connections you make during a law clinic can make the determination whether you have a job at graduation or if your just another law school graduate with no real world experience looking for a job. She also stated the law school you attend is not as much of an issue, sol long as your good at your craft. She told me nobody asks her where she attended law school, as they are more concerned by why she is so successful in the courtroom.
A.A., B.S., and soon to be 1L.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Combat Veteran