Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances of getting back into law school after dismissal  (Read 1570 times)

jodolmay

• View Profile
Chances of getting back into law school after dismissal
« on: July 23, 2012, 04:24:54 PM »
I started law school (at JMLS) in fall 2009. The 1st semester, I got 3 B's and 1 D. The D gave me a gpa of 2.3.

To stay enrolled in JMLS, you need a 2.25.

The second semester (Spring 2010), my gpa went down to a 1.9.

I got a semester (Fall 2010) to raise it back up, but didn't.

I was then dismissed after the Fall 2010 semester.

I got back in (in Fall 2011) and got another opportunity to raise my gpa, but failed to do so again.

I was dismissed again.

I can't ever get back into JMLS, but is there any chance I can get into another school?

Do I have to wait two years?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Chances of getting back into law school after dismissal
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:00:31 PM »
I have no idea how to answer your question, but if you aren't a flame, I'd like to know more about your situation.

Why did you do so poorly in the second semester?  One D pulling you down can be written off to a really bad day, but you must have had something like a 1.5 gpa the second semester.   Any explanation?

I really don't mean this to be harsh, but in order to return to school (don't know why you would) you'll need to convince an admissions person that you've changed.  What can you change?  Were you incredibly lazy (tough to change)?  Suffer from debilitating anxiety (maybe some meds?)? or are you too dense for law school (tough/impossible to change)?

If you really want to go back to law school, I hope you have some story about tremendous personal loss, paralysis, or a healing medical condition.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 04:16:21 PM »
hearbreak of psoriasis always work julie.

cooley3L

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 09:01:15 PM »
everything but the D should transfer to cooley. They only require a 2.0. You can make Deans List for having a 3.0 for the term even if on AP for your overall GPA. If you had at least a 148 LSAT you should qualify for tuition assistance too. A 160 is a full ride.

SoCalLawGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 10:44:35 AM »
Maybe in a situation like yours you could consider other options. Are you 100% sure you want to study law? Choosing a career is not easy but it's something to think long and hard about.

cooley3L

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 09:28:03 PM »
If you do go another route, try to find a masters that will take the transfer credits. I think some MBA,etc, will do that.