Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just looking for feedback  (Read 435 times)

gormco02

• View Profile
    • Email
Just looking for feedback
« on: July 23, 2012, 11:32:03 AM »
I am in the early stages of deciding on where I should apply for law school and was just looking to get some insight on various schools/recommendations on schools.  I received a score of 156 on my first LSAT (haven't decided on a retake) and have a 3.4 GPA.  I feel that I also have some pretty good soft factors which will help me out.  Essentially I am just looking for some suggestions on schools which would be a good fit.  I will going to be a undergraduate senior and will not be enrolling in law school until fall of 2013.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Just looking for feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 07:02:10 PM »
On paper, You are a moderately qualified regional candidate.   You'd probably fit in very well at some flyover schools like Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, or New Mexico.  Those schools are all fairly strong in their respective medium/small markets.

What region are you looking for?

gormco02

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 09:55:06 AM »
Thanks for the the response.  My home region is the northeast, but I have no problem uprooting myself and going anywhere in the country.  I prefer the coastal regions to middle-America, but would not hesitate to go to flyover schools as you suggested, if I felt they were a good fit and could see myself there.  If I had to choose which regions are my top choices, I would say the Northeast and Northwest are my preferred choices.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 01:00:05 PM »
Gonzaga might be a good fit for you.  It's not on the coast, but it's still in Washington.
You'd probably have a good shot at Oregon (higher LSAT lower GPA).  I had similar stats and I was waitlisted there.
You might be able to get some money to go to McGeorge (university of the pacific)
I also got massive scholarships at some T3 schools in the northeast. 

I think the most important think for someone with your numbers is to figure out where you'd like to work.  You will need to depend quite a bit on networking and internships, and it's difficult to network and get internships in a city you don't live in.

gormco02

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »
Once again Jack, thank you for your feedback.  I have actually been researching Oregon and McGeorge quite a bit lately, so I'm glad that you mentioned those two.