Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Just looking for feedback  (Read 1745 times)

gormco02

• View Profile
    • Email
Just looking for feedback
« on: July 23, 2012, 11:24:30 AM »
I am in the early stages of deciding on where I should apply for law school and was just looking to get some insight on various schools/recommendations on schools.  I received a score of 156 on my first LSAT (haven't decided on a retake) and have a 3.4 GPA.  I feel that I also have some pretty good soft factors which will help me out.  Essentially I am just looking for some suggestions on schools which would be a good fit.  I will going to be a undergraduate senior and will not be enrolling in law school until fall of 2013.

Zepp

• View Profile
Re: Just looking for feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 06:10:07 PM »
Take a prep course, and retake the LSAT (I jumped from 154 to 165).  And seriously kick butt your last year.  You're on the cusp of getting into a solid top tier school (perhaps even top 14).  The range for 25 to 75 percentile at Georgetown spans LSAT 167-172 and GPA 3.42 to 3.82.  As for an actual school...depends what you're looking for, where you want to practice, what type of law you want to practice.  Being a double Hoya, I'm obviously a big fan of Georgetown...but there are many people that don't like the idea of going to a huge law school in the middle of the city.   
GULC 2010 Cum Laude

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:58:54 PM »
stand up straight.  get bed at night.  be kind strangers.

cooley3L

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 08:59:55 PM »
I am in the early stages of deciding on where I should apply for law school and was just looking to get some insight on various schools/recommendations on schools.  I received a score of 156 on my first LSAT (haven't decided on a retake) and have a 3.4 GPA.  I feel that I also have some pretty good soft factors which will help me out.  Essentially I am just looking for some suggestions on schools which would be a good fit.  I will going to be a undergraduate senior and will not be enrolling in law school until fall of 2013.

If you can raise that lsat to a 160 it is a full ride at cooley. Near full ride as is.

sonnyhodgin

• View Profile
    • Success in Law School Blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 03:10:02 PM »
Hey gormco,

You should take the LSAT again.  Generally, you want the highest score you can come up with, so you have the widest range of options available.  Having said that, with your LSAT and GPA where they are now, you can still get into a good law school.  It won't be one of those elusive T14 law schools, but there are plenty of non-T14 law schools that offer a great legal education and other benefits.  I went to a lower ranked law school myself on the ground that it had a good track record, a good dual degree program, and they offered a large scholarship.  I worked hard, got good grades, was on law review and moot court, and got my dream job as a military JAG attorney. 

So, there you go.  Retake your LSAT so you have lots of options.  You may decide to go to a super-prestigious law school, or you may decide to take a scholarship, go to a less prestigious law school, and be a big fish in a smaller pond.  If you want some more advice on the benefits of a lower ranked law school (again, not saying they're better than high-ranked law schools.  I'm just saying that they offer some advantages you should consider), I wrote an article on my law school (Valpo in Indiana) that you might find helpful:

http://sonnyhodgin.hubpages.com/hub/Reasons-to-Attend-Valparaiso-University-School-of-Law

Best of luck.  Let me know if you have any other questions!

Anti09

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 07:15:12 PM »

Soft factors generally mean very little to nothing at all.  They're enough to tip you one way or the other if you're going up against a similarly qualified candidate, but that's all they'll ever be - adcomms care about numbers, plain and simple. 

You're on the cusp of getting into a solid top tier school (perhaps even top 14).

Not with his current score.  He'd need to raise his LSAT a good 10 points to be competitive at a T14.  (OP, that doesn't mean that isn't possible - you can absolutely do it and you absolutely should, as the superior options you'll have coming from a top tier school will be far and away worth the time you spent prepping for the LSAT).

Anti09

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 07:17:24 PM »

If you can raise that lsat to a 160 it is a full ride at cooley. Near full ride as is.

And I'll bet the OP didn't think he had any good options!  ::)

I would never go to Cooley, free ride or otherwise.  It's a waste of three years and would be an utter embarrassment to put on a resume.  Cooley defines festering TTT.

SoCalLawGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 03:59:19 AM »
gormco02, what have you decided in the end? Are you going to re-take the LSAT ? If you could up your score by 5-10 points, it would be great for you.

jaycube

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 02:10:04 AM »
The only thing i want to say it is all upon you how to take the law school and how seriously you take your carrier in the legal field.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 02:19:47 PM »
This is kind of an old post, but there are five things I think any 0L should consider. (1) Location (2) Cost (3) Personal Feeling about the School (4) Specialty Programs (5) and if all else fails you can use U.S. News Ranking as a guide, but don't make that your number one factor unless it is Harvard, Yale, etc.

More importantly than anything when making a 3 year $100,000+ take anonymous internet posters like myself with a grain of salt. Nobody knows your situation or what is best for you better than yourself. Many people take advise from these boards very seriously, but for all you know I or anyone else posting anonymously on the internet could  be full of it so take it with a grain of salt.

1 Location
In my opinion this is the most important factor when choosing a law school. If you want to live in San Francisco after graduation go to law school in San Francisco, if your from Idaho and want to be close to your family after graduation go to law school in Idaho. The vast majority of schools only have connections in their immediate area and on top of that you will get internships etc in the area your attending school. For example if your going to law school in L.A. you cannot do an internship in New York during the school year and since there are no shortage of law schools in New York or New Jersey there would be no reason to reach out to L.A.

Also law school doesn't exist in a vaccum and the day to day life will play a factor. For example if your ultra liberal, gay, etc going to law school in Arkansas is probably not going to go well and if your ultra conservative going to law school in San Francisco won't go well. If your a person that loves night life etc going to law school in East Lansing Michigan or Tulsa Oklahoma will be hard to handle. If your someone that likes a quiet atmosphere then don't attend New York Law School in the heart of New York's Financial District. These are all factors that are unique to each individual and really consider location.

2) COST
Almost every law school except for a few schools that offer in-state tuition like Florida International, South Dakota, North Dakota, and few others tuition is going to run you approximtely 100k and if your in a location like N.Y. or San Francisco the living expenses for 3 years will probably add on another 50-100k. All of which is accruing interest often at 6 or 8%. This means you can have 8,000 or so in interest alone a year so it is important to really consider cost.

Many schools offer merit scholarships that should be considered even if other schools are "higher ranked" for example if you can get a full scholarship at Gonzaga University compared to paying full tuition at Seattle University then it might be wise to take it since I would imagine most people do not consider either much school must better than the other.

Also as a sidenote each ABA law school quite literally teaches you the same thing your first year will be contracts, torts, civil procedure, legal writing, property, criminal law, criminal procedure, and constitutional law or some slight variation, but all those courses will be taken. In Torts you will read the Palsgraff case, Contracts Hadley v. Baxendale etc and all you do at any ABA school is read Supreme Court Decisions and the Supreme Court doesn't take time to write different opinions for different schools. Whether you read the Palsgraff case at Harvard or in West Virginia the firecrackers get dropped and proximate cause is established.

3) Personal Feeling about the School
I personally was accepted to several law schools and I visited a lot as well as participated in some mock trial competitions and I saw a lot of different law schools. There were some that I really liked and some that I really didn't like. My reasons were completely personal to me and what I liked you may have hated and vice versa. You can talk to professors, students, admins, etc and really see first hand what the school is like. I highly recommend doing that prior to making a 3 year 100,000+ commitment just make sure the school fits your personality.

4. Specialty Programs
This ties in more with location rather than the school, but you can still use it as a factor. For example if you really want to do entertainment law then you should go to law school in New York or L.A. that is where movies, t.v shows, etc are made. Therefore, schools in those locations will have a lot of alumni in the area, adjuncts that work in the field will teach in the school, you can get internships at those places during law school and so on. If you want to do entrainment law then going to Idaho law school will not be an ideal spot.

Then there are a few schools that do mock trial competitions which are good and you can kind of see how seriously a school takes that by how many teams they have and how well they do. For example South Texas law school is amazing at Trial Advocacy competitions I have seen there courtroom and they almost won every competition I was ever win they are just good at it. If there is some area of law you are interested in you can look at to what programs they offer.

However, if you are not particularly interested in any area of law don't consider it and don't worry about it. Plenty of law students and even lawyers don't really know what they want to do.

5 Rankings
This is a factor, but remember U.S. News is nothing more than a for-profit magazine offering an opinion. They rank more than law schools and Albuquerque New Mexico is the best place to live now according to them and South & North Dakota will be the best places to live in 2032. One of the main factors for South Dakota being selected as a hot spot in 2032 is because they estimate dental visits will be easy to access. I am not making this up either straight from their website http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/the-best-life/2012/08/07/here-are-the-best-places-to-livein-2032 and http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/real-estate/articles/2009/06/08/best-places-to-live-2009

I highly doubt you are going to make life altering choice and move to Albuquerque because a magazine says you should or start saving to move to South Dakota in 2032. Use the same logic when choosing your law school don't let some magazine be your main guide. No harm in considering it, but don't make a life altering choice based on a magazine.

Conclusion

Those are just some factors to consider and hopefully some of that info is helpful. Also remember I am nothing more than an anonymous internet poster and you should get info directly from people you can interact with face to face to assess their credibility. Good luck .