Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ABA versus Non-ABA; marathon LSAT-taker  (Read 7286 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: ABA versus Non-ABA; marathon LSAT-taker
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2013, 08:47:56 PM »
In an ideal world Id be able to practice all day long to the point Id be able to give lectures on the LSAT, but realistically I work two jobs, cant afford a prep course and can only study a few hours a week on a borrowed book from my local library.  I have no problem understanding LSAT concepts it's the time factor that I struggle with

1. Even though CBE schools are less expensive than ABA, attending a CBE school is an expensive proposition. Law school wants money every time you turn around. If you can't afford an LSAT prep course, you're going to have a rude awakening once you enroll somewhere - anywhere. Not that prep courses are critical, but a serious student would find a way to get into one, especially if he's already received a score in the low 140s on a formal administration of the test (versus self-testing).

2. You can buy study guides from LSAC and elsewhere for $20-$40. If you're limiting your preparation to a few hours a week with a book borrowed from the library, you aren't approaching the LSAT with nearly the energy, dedication, and determination that you need to apply to it. You should be tackling practice exams every evening and all weekend for months before the next LSAT. Not a few hours a week.

3. Part-time attendance at law school is a second full-time job. If you don't devote the time to it, you'll waste your time, their time, and your money.

Just some food for thought. Law school success demands that you be all in, or not in at all.

you so very, very wise.

sharder

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2014, 03:31:33 AM »
I graduated from law school in Fl last year. I have some experience working at a small firm. I know a lot about http://www.flarrestscheck.org arrest record search of parents regarding juvenile dependency. I've met some of people who had LSATs in the 130s, went to FL accredited schools, passed the bar, and are practicing attorneys. It's not guaranteed to be easy at all. As the other guy mentioned, I also know a guy with a JD from an ABA school who has not been able to pass the FL bar after multiple attempts.

@_@

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2014, 07:52:52 PM »
130 range LSAT?  :o
Which school accepts those scores?

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2014, 07:06:23 AM »
Online, I imagine, mostly; other non-ABA schools.

@_@

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2014, 01:45:05 PM »
Online, I imagine, mostly; other non-ABA schools.
If they accept that low, why require it at all?

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2014, 03:52:01 PM »
There's always lower scores to weed out, scholarships(?), adds to apparent legitimacy of school through a formalized process that ABA schools use...take your pick.