Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is a Prep Course worth it for me?  (Read 1797 times)

meesh

• View Profile
Is a Prep Course worth it for me?
« on: July 17, 2012, 07:17:44 PM »
So I've taken some cheap, local LSAT prep courses before and about 8 or 9 practice LSATs over the span of two months. I was able to bring my score up from a first time 153 to a personal best of 161. I have the Powerscore bibles for LG and LR. My question is do you think that taking an expensive prep class such as Testmasters is worth it for me (in other words, would it really boost my score any more than I have already boosted it)?

I know that it varies and mostly depends on how well you can apply yourself but I just want to know your opinions based on your experiences. If I'm already familiar with the test, are the Testmaster methods really worth over a grand and do I have much room for improvement? I'm shooting for at least 10 more points. Thank you  :)

HolmesBoy

• View Profile
Re: Is a Prep Course worth it for me?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 07:50:08 PM »
I hate how commercial law school admissions has become. That said, I'd say the cost of an LSAT prep course is well worth it in comparison to the potentially large gain you could derive from an improved LSAT score. While Testmasters is a benchmark course, there are other options available (e.g., Kaplan, Velocity, Powerscore, Blueprint). Also, based on the number of practice tests you've taken, it sounds like you have to discipline to consider an online class.

Morganb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »
I'm starting to wonder this myself. My numbers are similar to yours. Some LSAT prep classes guarantee a certain score increase, but I'm being told that is soley because of the number of practice tests you are required to take in the class forcing experience on you. If I take 20 practice tests over the next three months on my own, all the while reading and practicing individual sections, will I get just as good of an increase? I would hate to throw away that amount of money on something I could have done myself.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 03:09:59 PM »
Morganb, perhaps traditional LSAT classes are designed for people whom wouldn’t otherwise study the LSAT? That’s not to say they wouldn’t help everyone, but perhaps they’re not designed for people like you...? Just a thought.

peddling your prep course here going well?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 08:17:16 PM »
Morganb, perhaps traditional LSAT classes are designed for people whom wouldn’t otherwise study the LSAT? That’s not to say they wouldn’t help everyone, but perhaps they’re not designed for people like you...? Just a thought.

I would recommend the Nigerian LSAT prep class in which you will also inherit a million dollars.

Morganb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 11:21:12 AM »

I would recommend the Nigerian LSAT prep class in which you will also inherit a million dollars.

This conversation took a strange turn at some point. I think I'll just take my chances. Thanks?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 03:15:11 PM »
welcome?

SoCalLawGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 03:26:56 AM »
I'd say it's worth it. Those few points that separate a low score from a high one are very important. Take a prep course and you'll see how your results will improve.