Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need some advice please  (Read 566 times)

Jklumpkin

• View Profile
    • Email
Need some advice please
« on: July 16, 2012, 11:28:59 PM »
I'm 21 years old and I have been in the military for about four years now. I have one year left and I have always wanted to go to law school but I'm pretty much lost on everything. Ive submitted two
 applications. One to eastern Michigan university and one to university of Michigan. I know I need to take the LSAT, but beyond that my so called educational counselor has been useless. A few questions I have are how much does the post 9/11 gi bill cover of law school? If I have a terrible gpa from high school how do I get that to look better and what are some if the best ways that everyone has found to study for the LSAT.

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Need some advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:47:54 PM »
I know nothing about how the GI bill works, but I have never heard of a school caring about high school grades. Your Undergrad GPA is really what matters at least that is how it was when I went to law school.

Your military service will probably help you in admissions and for now stay safe then graduate from college and take the LSAT. I don't think a single school asked for a high school transcript when I applied and I am guessing that is still how it goes.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 12:13:29 AM »
I'm 21 years old and I have been in the military for about four years now. I have one year left and I have always wanted to go to law school but I'm pretty much lost on everything. Ive submitted two
 applications. One to eastern Michigan university and one to university of Michigan. I know I need to take the LSAT, but beyond that my so called educational counselor has been useless. A few questions I have are how much does the post 9/11 gi bill cover of law school? If I have a terrible gpa from high school how do I get that to look better and what are some if the best ways that everyone has found to study for the LSAT.

I have a stupid question for you, but do you have your bachelor's degree yet?

Eastern Michigan does not have a law school, though Wayne State does.  Sounds like you want to go in SE Michigan, in which case, I'll shill for University of Toledo which gives in-state tuition to people from certain Michigan counties.  (So does Cleveland State.)

My understanding is that post 9/11 GI bill pays a maximum of the highest in-state tuition rate for your state of enlistment for UNDERGRADUATE education.  You can apply it to graduate education, but I believe they limit how much they pay.  However, you also get the living stipend, etc.  So, it may still cover the entire cost of attendance.  I would speak to the VA folks at the college you'll be going to.

Best of luck, but in the US, law school is a graduate school (with a lot of exceptions, but not very many attractive or practical ones) that requires you to complete a bachelor's before enrollment.

Nathaniel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My heavy metal band's Myspace site
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 12:59:17 PM »
Jklumpkin, I got a 166 on the LSAT in October, 2005.  That's 93-94%, meaning I did better than 93-94% of test takers over the previous 3 years.  For example, if 100,000 people took the test, then I did better than 93,000-94,000 people.  I was 23 years old then.  I started studying for the LSAT when I was 20-21.  In 2003, when I was in Honolulu, Hawai'i, studying at UH-Manoa during the summer, I bought 10 actual, official LSATs by the test makers, LSAC.  The first practice test I took I got about a 153.  I purchased more actual, official LSATs from the test makers and I used Powerscore products extensively as well as a book by Kaplan.  I bet I used others but I can't remember them now.  The actual, official LSATs and Powerscore products helped me out the most.  On test day, I aced the logic games section.   
The University of Maine '07
USC Law Dropout '07