Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: British Degree?  (Read 312 times)

ywan1990

• View Profile
    • Email
British Degree?
« on: July 15, 2012, 10:39:22 AM »
Hi! I have had a first class honour degree  (in philosophy and economics) from a top london uni but I am not sure how this can be compared to GPA. My total score is comfortably high to land me a first but not high enough to be outstanding . My LSAT score is 170. 

So which range of schools should I be looking at now?
Also, if I can improve my lsat score by, say, 2 or 3 points, should I be bothered to retake it? Thanks!

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
Re: British Degree?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 02:03:27 PM »
First class honours degrees work out to a 4.0 GPA in the US system. As far as where you should apply: any you feel you would want to attend. Aside from any top schools that don't offer scholarships for very high GPA and LSAT, with your credentials, retaking would only affect the expense of attending law school.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: British Degree?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 04:36:53 PM »
In my anonymous internet poster opinion you might be best served to apply as planned and schedule yourself for the October & February LSAT. If you improve on those the schools will update your pending applications with the new score. (I am fairly certain law schools have done away with averaging your score so you would be in an everything to gain nothing to lose scenario. Verify that with the schools first hand though.

I wouldn't put off your applications in hopes of getting a 172 opposed to a 170. Odds are you won't improve and even and putting off law school for a year in hopes of improving a point, or two, or three won't give you much of a benefit.

However, I am just an anonymous internet poster so take everything I or others say with a grain of salt. I would encourage you to call the schools and find out what the repercussions of applying and taking the October or February LSAT would be. If it is an everything to gain nothing to lose scenario you might as well retake.

Good luck!