Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern California University, School of Law.  (Read 21271 times)

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Northwestern California University, School of Law.
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2012, 02:47:40 PM »
@Jack not saying the work ethic is really a factor

The friend was taking another bar while working full-time. I imagine at Cornell many of the grads took NY bar the first time and it is a possibility that the individuals who failed were taking a 2nd/3rd bar while trying to make 1800 billable hours or something like that.

That is what happened to my friend I'm certain she could pass if she took the full-time to do it.

If the statistic indicated first-time takers of a bar period opposed to already licensed attorneys I would be curious to know if there is a discrepancy. There may not be, but this is only a theory.

California is an EXTREMELY difficult bar as well I am in no way negating that, but just trying to show there is often much more than goes into passing or failing a bar than the school someone attends.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2012, 06:59:43 PM »
Licensed attorneys take an abbreviated version of the Cal bar and routinely do worse than first time takers. My theory is that increased alcohol and drug consumption is a factor in the lower than expected pass rate:

The pass rate for the 396 lawyers who took the attorneys’ exam was 34.6 percent, a decline from last year’s 41.6 percent pass rate. Of those who took the attorneys’ exam, 26 were disciplined lawyers who took the test as a condition of reinstatement. Four passed. The attorneys’ examination is open to lawyers who have been admitted to the active practice of law in good standing for at least four years in another United States jurisdiction.

http://www.calbarjournal.com/December2011/TopHeadlines/TH6.aspx

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2012, 12:34:32 PM »
The non ABA grads are in an inferior position per se because they cannot forum shop for an easier bar to take.

What state has the easiest bar?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2012, 02:58:36 PM »
If you do a Google search, you can know too.

financialandtaxguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2013, 10:56:33 PM »

In your experience, do most of the students at Concord plan on becoming solo practitioners? If not, does Concord help its students out with placement, or help you get in touch with alumni? Just curious. My own school had a pretty abyssmal career services office, we were pretty much left on our own.

I doubt any online school could do much in the way of job placement since its graduates are usually going to be disqualified from most public employment with non ABA degrees.  Online students are going to be solo or two person firm practitioners by default.

Just want to refresh this post reminding readers to look up the post I made several months ago where I gave an example of a friend of mine who went to distance law school Oakbrook College of Law, passed the Baby Bar first time, passed the General Bar first time, and then a couple of years later after experience with a non-profit legal advocacy organization, got hired as a District Attorney in Tulare County, California.

jennid1234

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2013, 12:54:44 PM »
Every quarter Concord Law School posts alumni updates and many of the graduates are in government jobs some administrative, others practicing law.  The graduates are not all sole practishioners, we even have a group of four that started their own law firm last year.  So, it doesn't matter the route you take, if you are good at being a lawyer then who cares if you are at a prominent law firm. I do a lot of volunteering and I also work full time, in my 3rd year now at Concord and during this economic hard time, what I consider my biggest asset is being active in the community which does make a difference.  Not only is your skill important upon graduation but overall character counts too.  Real tired of the snobs out there that think online or schools not of ABA status challenging our credentials and potential.  Choose a school that is a best fit for you!  You will succeed.