Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern California University, School of Law.  (Read 21365 times)

Nor-Cal

• View Profile
Northwestern California University, School of Law.
« on: July 11, 2012, 04:19:56 AM »
Does anyone have any experience with this university? Their tuition rate is unbelievable at approximately $12,000 after everything is all said and done, or approximately $2,800 per year, so I'm curious to see if anyone has any experience with this program? Now keep in mind that I understand it's an online program, which is not accredited by the ABA or Cal Bar, but it is "registered" with Cal Bar as an unaccredited school and does allow you to sit for the Bar Exam in California.

I began doing some light research into a few online schools. I went on the California Bar website to look at the graduation rates for first time takers for July 2011. I then looked at each schools tuition rate and here is what I came up with:

University                     Total Tuition   Bar Pass Rate (7/11)

Concord Law School                               $40K                 28%
Taft Law School                                       $32K                 0%
St. Francis School of Law                        $28K                 No Info
Northwestern California University        $12K                 21%

Now I have only met one guy who was an 2L from Northwestern California University and he said he liked it, but he is the only person Iíve encountered who has attended this university. Does anyone else know anything about this school?
A.A., B.S., and soon to be 1L.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Combat Veteran

jennid1234

• View Profile
Re: Northwestern California University, School of Law.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 03:47:23 PM »
WOW, that rocks.  Don't be afraid of the amount going up.  If it does, figure you will be still paying around 25,000 for a law degree.  They have FANTASTIC STATs for the FYLSE too.  Almost makes me want to switch and pay less, but I love Concord's program and if I pass the FYLSE, I'm not sure I'd want to change mid stream.  Yes, I'll pay 50,000 for my law degree - I know I'll either land a great job OR I'll become a sole practicioner and will enjoy the smallness of my own business.  GOOD LUCK!

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 04:06:43 PM »
WOW, that rocks.  Don't be afraid of the amount going up.  If it does, figure you will be still paying around 25,000 for a law degree.  They have FANTASTIC STATs for the FYLSE too.  Almost makes me want to switch and pay less, but I love Concord's program and if I pass the FYLSE, I'm not sure I'd want to change mid stream.  Yes, I'll pay 50,000 for my law degree - I know I'll either land a great job OR I'll become a sole practicioner and will enjoy the smallness of my own business.  GOOD LUCK!

In your experience, do most of the students at Concord plan on becoming solo practitioners? If not, does Concord help its students out with placement, or help you get in touch with alumni? Just curious. My own school had a pretty abyssmal career services office, we were pretty much left on our own.

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 06:50:25 PM »
In non-ABA schools I think your biggest concern is bar passage rates.

Here is the list for the last 10 years of every school from the California Bar and their percentages. http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Examinations/Statistics.aspx . Out of curiosity I looked in 2008 for Northwestern California it was 43% for first timers and 14% for repeaters, which for online schools is not bad, but those are certainly not encouraging numbers.

The bar exam is more of an individual test, but with online schools/non-ABA they may not give you all the necessary tools to pass. It works for many people, but there is something to be said about ABA accreditation.

Hopefully that chart is helpful in your research good luck to you.

That chart is not from an anonymous internet source that is the California Bar so it can be trusted.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 08:21:11 PM »
43% is actually a higher first time pass rate for the California bar than that of many out-of-state ABA schools. Nonetheless, a few things to consider when looking at any online/unaccredited school's pass rates are the number of takers (usually very low, 10-25), widely fluctuating pass rates (10% one year, 35% the next), and the fact that bar pass rates are only reflective of those students who have not already been weeded out by the FYLSE.

I think that an online JD can be a good option for the right student. I have a huge amount of respect for anyone who can get through an online JD program, pass the FYLSE, and pass the bar. It must take ahuge amount of self-discipline and motivation. Before selecting an online school a potential applicant should probably spend considerable time figuring out whether or not they are that type of student.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 09:20:51 PM »

In your experience, do most of the students at Concord plan on becoming solo practitioners? If not, does Concord help its students out with placement, or help you get in touch with alumni? Just curious. My own school had a pretty abyssmal career services office, we were pretty much left on our own.

I doubt any online school could do much in the way of job placement since its graduates are usually going to be disqualified from most public employment with non ABA degrees.  Online students are going to be solo or two person firm practitioners by default.

Nor-Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 04:22:03 PM »
Not necessarly, considering about half of all the Assistant District Attoney's here in my area all graduated from a local law school that is not ABA accredited. It may limit where in governement you can work, but it doesn't exclude you from it.
A.A., B.S., and soon to be 1L.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Combat Veteran

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 05:38:50 PM »
Not necessarly, considering about half of all the Assistant District Attoney's here in my area all graduated from a local law school that is not ABA accredited. It may limit where in governement you can work, but it doesn't exclude you from it.

Has that office ever hired an online grad, though? I've met lots of DAs, PDs, etc who are Calbar grads, but never an online grad. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but I've never seen it.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 05:53:44 PM »
You will not get hired if you are an online grad, you can however get an appointment as a conflict public defender if you can convince a judge you are competent. But you may need malpractice insurance.  Online grads are not going to be hired and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.  You either need a job lined up already or be ready to go it solo.

legend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 07:54:58 PM »
I'm sure there are people who work at firms from online schools. Do a google search and you could likely find someone.

OP is likely will aware that online-school is not going to open as many doors as an ABA or even Cal-Bar school, but you can get a job particularly in California in the under served cities if you pass the bar. Most people don't realize California has 40 million people or something like that it is an absolutely massive state and there are a number of Po-Dunk little towns with no law school within 3 or 4 hours of it. Or with only Cal-Bar (schools) I imagine this is why California created the Cal-Bar system to serve these areas.

Or I could be 100% wrong, but to say NEVER is a bit unrealistic. OP use your common sense and I don't think anyone will can rationally argue On-Line school is "BETTER", but as I always say on this board apply your own life circumstance and also remember what I or any other poster says could be very be 100% wrong so take it all with a grain of salt.

Good luck!