Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do you have to go to law school?  (Read 903 times)

Nathaniel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My heavy metal band's Myspace site
    • Email
Do you have to go to law school?
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:46:35 AM »
If I want to become a lawyer, can I forego law school and simply take the Bar Exam?
The University of Maine '07
USC Law Dropout '07

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
Re: Do you have to go to law school?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 06:37:38 PM »
It depends on where you are. I know Washington state has a program for studying under a practicing lawyer in good standing as a path to taking the bar, but not sure where else.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 01:43:11 PM »
I believe California does too.  If you work for a lwyer for five years you can take the bar.

SoCalLawGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 01:19:10 PM »
I didn't know that was possible. I'm trying to get into law school as soon as possible because I want to learn as much as I can, I had no idea you could take the BAR just like that.

cooley3L

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 03:22:43 PM »
I didn't know that was possible. I'm trying to get into law school as soon as possible because I want to learn as much as I can, I had no idea you could take the BAR just like that.
you can't reread the posts. (other steps involved, harder than just attending lawschool) The shadowing involves first finding a lawyer willing to take you (good  luck) and then still having to take the fybx(almost no one passes it) and still having to turn in essays to the Courts for review.

You'd be better off just attending lawschool.

SaraJean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 10:52:22 PM »
It depends on where you are. I know Washington state has a program for studying under a practicing lawyer in good standing as a path to taking the bar, but not sure where else.

The jurisdictions are listed in the ABA Guide to Bar Requirements.  They start on PDF pg.20 of the 2011 edition.  The supplemental remarks after the chart are quite interesting.
http://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/migrated/legaled/publications/20110201_Comp_Guide.authcheckdam.pdf