Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: QUESTION: How long is the J.D degree good for?  (Read 781 times)

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
QUESTION: How long is the J.D degree good for?
« on: July 05, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
If somebody graduates from law an ABA accredited law school and is given a J.D, and they decide they don't want to take the state bar just yet, then how long can they wait to take the bar(any state)?

Let me rephrase my question. Can somebody take the bar a five or ten years later? Not everybody goes to law school to become lawyers, and some go for the J.D degree and knowledge, but later in life they might decide to take a state bar. Can they take it? Or is the time expired and they are forever barred from taking the bar? Is it an ABA rule? Is it a written rule anywhere?

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: QUESTION: How long is the J.D degree good for?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 08:09:40 PM »
This would be up to each states Bar. Although I have not looked specifically for this, I have read through the admission requirements foe a few states and have not noticed any time restriction.

Although I suspect that waiting for 10+ years would not make it any easier to pass the Bar exam.

Insert obvious disclaimer that anyone considering taking a 1-2 decade break after law school should take a look at the requirements for any state they may want to join the Bar.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 09:05:59 PM »
As Haus said, a rule like that would be according to each state's bar, not the ABA. I've never heard of an "expiration date" on JDs, and I'd be surprised if any state restricted bar admission in that manner.

SoCalLawGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 10:51:20 AM »
I don't think a law degree expires, you worked hard enough for it, but I suggest you take Haus's advice, don't wait a lifetime to take the bar exam.

cooley3L

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 11:01:09 PM »
If you don't want to practice law now, still sit the bar. Most states will keep the score good for life. Plus showing you are licensed looks good on resumes for nonlegal jobs too. Not haven sat the bar with a JD, makes people wonder whats wrong with you. Plus obviously the longer you are out of school the lower the odds of passing it first try. Not only due to getting rusty, but the laws change.