Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help me pick an online law school  (Read 6752 times)

cooley3L

Re: Help me pick an online law school
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2012, 06:26:43 PM »
†Concord Law School’s programs are designed to prepare graduates to pursue employment in their field of study, or in related fields. However, Concord does not guarantee that graduates will be placed in any particular job, eligible for job advancement opportunities, or employed at all.

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/06/a-law-school-finally-admits-that-its-graduates-may-never-be-employed-at-all/

I give Concord points for being truthful.

I think that all schools say that nowdays to avoid being sued. Even the ones that claim near 100% placement still say it on their radio ads.

Law schools have Radio Ads?   It makes me sad to think anyone chooses a lawyer based on radio ads, but choosing a law school based on a radio ad is ten times worse.
Perhaps but I was talking about all schools in general (even trade schools) add that qualifier. The idea of "finally an honest law school" is just BS by the author of the article as a cheap tactic to get hits on their site. All schools do it.

lawguy2b

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 02:23:08 PM »
I went to Concord for one year.  You must be very disciplined to attend Concord.  They have a low bar pass rate and not much better on the FYLSE.  I looked into Oakbrook School of Law and they have much better pass rates, plus cost a lot less.  I would suggest Oakbrook.  I graduated with my law degree and decided to not take the bar exam because I am 66 years old and really just wanted to see if I could graduate from law school, and if I missed a career I thought I wanted years ago.  It is not what it is cracked up to be.  I work as a paralegal in a small firm and have fulfilled my dream at a lower cost than Concord.  I am a retired college professor and like to learn, this was a course of study more than expected.  I spent 50 hours a week studying, outlining and memorizing.  But-always follow your dream.  At the age of 45 I graduated from college with a BS and AAS degree, a MBA, and all three degrees took me a total of 3 years, not suggested to anyone to subject themselves to that many classes a semester. I followed my dream and 20 years later I graduated from law school, and with a lot of student loan debt-LOL.

cooley3L

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2012, 05:13:15 PM »
I went to Concord for one year.  You must be very disciplined to attend Concord.  They have a low bar pass rate and not much better on the FYLSE.  I looked into Oakbrook School of Law and they have much better pass rates, plus cost a lot less.  I would suggest Oakbrook.  I graduated with my law degree and decided to not take the bar exam because I am 66 years old and really just wanted to see if I could graduate from law school, and if I missed a career I thought I wanted years ago.  It is not what it is cracked up to be.  I work as a paralegal in a small firm and have fulfilled my dream at a lower cost than Concord.  I am a retired college professor and like to learn, this was a course of study more than expected.  I spent 50 hours a week studying, outlining and memorizing.  But-always follow your dream.  At the age of 45 I graduated from college with a BS and AAS degree, a MBA, and all three degrees took me a total of 3 years, not suggested to anyone to subject themselves to that many classes a semester. I followed my dream and 20 years later I graduated from law school, and with a lot of student loan debt-LOL.
Did you just graduate or did you pass the CA bar too? Do you have an EJD or the regular JD?

ipscientific

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 04:14:43 PM »
I'm thinking of attending online law school and I don't know what one to pick. I've interviewed most of all of them, and they each have their good and bad. Money is not an issue as I am willing to pay the extra money for the better education. ALU and Northwestern both teach one class at a time. Concord teaches four classes at at a time. I think one class at a time is better. Some of them also have online video learning that we can watch the instructor teach a live class, although I don't know what schools do this.

Can I get anybody's input that has attended these online colleges or others ones? I realize everybody has different learning styles amd works for you might not work for me, but I would like input anyways.

Help me decide. Thanks.

I'm almost finished my 1st year at Taft. I'm taking Contracts, Criminal Law, Torts and Legal Writing. There is an assignment once a week for any one. It alternates. Almost all assignments have videos from Taft Instructors.

Law School is totally different then what I thought it would be. That's not a bad thing. There is a lot of reading and essay writing. No matter which school you choose, you are going to go over the same material and how well you do, depends on how you apply yourself. I believe Taft has the best baby bar and CA bar pass rate. Hope that this helps. If you have any questions, let me know.

avarist

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2012, 10:23:03 PM »
when do you plan to sit the fybx? Taken any pre-tests for it yet?

SoCalLawGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2012, 12:54:59 AM »
My friend is attending a DL school.  He attends classes live which may not be for everyone from a time commitment.  You may want consider that in your analysis.

avarist

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2012, 09:24:49 PM »
My friend is attending a DL school.  He attends classes live which may not be for everyone from a time commitment.  You may want consider that in your analysis.
How so?

SoCalLawGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2012, 01:52:58 PM »
He really finds benefit in attending the "classroom-style" classes, but they are scheduled for specific times in the evening so sometimes it takes a bit of juggling for him.

jaycube

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 05:01:06 AM »
can anyone list here what are the options you got to join online law school for your carrier.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2012, 09:27:20 AM »
no.