Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help me pick an online law school  (Read 7074 times)

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Help me pick an online law school
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 10:58:07 AM »

I'm genuinely curious about this.  Please tell me why you think it would be better to take one class at a time

Ask your mommy. I'm beginng to think there are a bunch of retards on this forum. I quit posting to this forum a while back and I am going to stop posting again. Too many uneducated people on here asking stupid common sense questions. I'm not responding to to stupid questions.

I guess you may not read this, but I'll post it anyway.
The law is all interconnected.  I believe studying legal writing/research, contracts, property, and civ pro at the same time helps you to solidify concepts.  This is important because it can help you retain a portion of the massive amount of information you will be exposed to.   You can move at a decent pace, familiarize yourself with the law, and get some valuable context as well.   It's not as if you are studying literature and physics at the same time.  While contracts and property are different, most people study them in a similar way.
Additionally, some classes are interdependent.  Some people may want to take corporate taxation without waiting too long after federal taxation, media law soon after con law, criminal procedure soon after criminal law, etc.  A one-at-a-time approach makes this difficult.

I haven't been insulted on this forum in a long time.  I'm getting all nostalgic.

jennid1234

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 03:00:52 PM »
I liked learning torts at the same time as criminal law, both have rule statements with similar elements and definitely prepared me for Civil Procedure and Criminal Procedure this year.  My contracts course last year prepared me for real property.  I just wish somehow they could have fit evidence in there too.  My constitutional law class is the most labor intensive, professor very intelligent on top of being very helpful.  But every one has different approaches to learning - and reasonable persons often do not agree.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 09:19:20 PM »
Taking one class at a time allows a student to familiarize themselve with new concepts, very useful if you have no previous legal frame of reference.

Well, yeah, but hey zeus marimba, how long do you want this process to take?  One class at a time?  3 classes a year?  It would take a decade to finish law school that way.

True and the student will likely have forgotten civil procedure, torts and contracts by the time they get their degree!

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 05:10:45 PM »
I'm thinking of attending online law school and I don't know what one to pick. I've interviewed most of all of them, and they each have their good and bad. Money is not an issue as I am willing to pay the extra money for the better education. ALU and Northwestern both teach one class at a time. Concord teaches four classes at at a time. I think one class at a time is better. Some of them also have online video learning that we can watch the instructor teach a live class, although I don't know what schools do this.

Can I get anybody's input that has attended these online colleges or others ones? I realize everybody has different learning styles amd works for you might not work for me, but I would like input anyways.

Help me decide. Thanks.

Well you are in the situation of choosing the best one and obviously it is decision that can change your life because if you get admission in a good one you will learn good but unfortunately if you get admission any college that you do not like the way of teaching of their teachers so this will impact on your life so i advice you to choose the best college, SpammingTool.org will help you to find best college it is an online library of online colleges.

Spam, yuck.

Edited to remove offending link. - IrrX

cooley3L

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »
Concord is the only Regionally Accredited one. I'd factor that in. People tend to respect the Regional thing, especially if you ever need to get work in a non lawyer field. If not, at least get one DETC accredited. The non-accredited bar approved ones I'd say have almost no real value (almost no graduates practicing from them if you look into it, and huge fail rates-you get what you pay for) Above all else, don't fall for Novus or the other non bar approved BS ones.

Have you looked into the ABA schools that have lower admissions and longer plans? (cooley)?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 05:58:05 PM »
Concord's regional accreditation through Kaplan is actually irrelevant to the law degree. Regional accreditation has to do with academics not law school accreditation through the ABA or a state bar.

"Concord is registered as a Distance Learning Law School with the Committee of Bar Examiners of the State Bar of California. Registration with the Committee permits Concord JD graduates, who meet the regulatory requirements, to apply for admission to the State Bar of California."

http://info.concordlawschool.edu/pages/accreditation.aspx

In other words Concord's law school has the same lack of accreditation as any other California DL school. 

cooley3L

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 06:57:32 PM »
Concord's regional accreditation through Kaplan is actually irrelevant to the law degree. Regional accreditation has to do with academics not law school accreditation through the ABA or a state bar.

"Concord is registered as a Distance Learning Law School with the Committee of Bar Examiners of the State Bar of California. Registration with the Committee permits Concord JD graduates, who meet the regulatory requirements, to apply for admission to the State Bar of California."

http://info.concordlawschool.edu/pages/accreditation.aspx

In other words Concord's law school has the same lack of accreditation as any other California DL school.
I was referring to employer respect for it. I believe it has a lot higher pass rates too though.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 10:32:28 PM »
†Concord Law School’s programs are designed to prepare graduates to pursue employment in their field of study, or in related fields. However, Concord does not guarantee that graduates will be placed in any particular job, eligible for job advancement opportunities, or employed at all.

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/06/a-law-school-finally-admits-that-its-graduates-may-never-be-employed-at-all/

I give Concord points for being truthful.

cooley3L

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 08:00:59 PM »
†Concord Law School’s programs are designed to prepare graduates to pursue employment in their field of study, or in related fields. However, Concord does not guarantee that graduates will be placed in any particular job, eligible for job advancement opportunities, or employed at all.

http://abovethelaw.com/2012/06/a-law-school-finally-admits-that-its-graduates-may-never-be-employed-at-all/

I think that all schools say that nowdays to avoid being sued. Even the ones that claim near 100% placement still say it on their radio ads.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »

I think that all schools say that nowdays to avoid being sued. Even the ones that claim near 100% placement still say it on their radio ads.

Law schools have Radio Ads?   It makes me sad to think anyone chooses a lawyer based on radio ads, but choosing a law school based on a radio ad is ten times worse.