Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best tips?  (Read 11152 times)

Avocatetobe

• View Profile
    • Email
Best tips?
« on: June 26, 2012, 06:25:18 AM »
Hello!

I'm Sophie, I'm a law student in Assas (Paris), and I didn't do very well this year.. a lot of pressure, and couldn't keep up health wise... Anyways, I'm waiting for my 2nd semester results, and in case I have to repeat my 1st year, i wanted to know if you had any good advice to start fresh?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
Re: Best tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 03:06:07 PM »
shower liner go on inside.

Avocatetobe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:34:25 AM »
ahah ;) No but seriously, like organizational tips ..?

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 01:24:27 PM »
Depends on how you learn and how much you want it, really.  For me, I do better with a schedule.  I.e.  Do my reading for Contracts on Saturday, Torts on Wednesday nite, outline sundays, etc.  It also helped to have a study group to outline and do practice exams.  Mostly, I'd do practice tests on my own though.  About a week before finals, I start writing out my rules over and over.   The biggest issue is probably just sticking to that schedule.  Lots of people of made schedules, but not everyone followed through.  For those of us that made to our second year, we really had no life.  I can give you all the organizational advice in the world, but if a weekend in Vegas is taking a priority over your studies, then your schedule won't matter anyway.   
I would reserve Friday nites for me and my boyfriend for date night, but if you want to do well, you really need to force yourself to just sit and do the work no matter how much you are dreading it.   Hope that helps! 

Avocatetobe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 02:56:40 PM »
Thanks, helped a great deal! :D

SoCalLawGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 06:27:12 AM »
I also find it difficult to work and study but if you put your mind to it and if you make yourself a schedule, like Cher said above, there's no way you won't make it. Of course, it's going to be very hard to respect the schedule, you never know what unexpected things might happen but the least you can do is try hard. I hope I helped at least a little bit.

Thane Messinger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 05:57:30 AM »
Hello!

I'm Sophie, I'm a law student in Assas (Paris), and I didn't do very well this year.. a lot of pressure, and couldn't keep up health wise... Anyways, I'm waiting for my 2nd semester results, and in case I have to repeat my 1st year, i wanted to know if you had any good advice to start fresh?

Sophie -

The best advice for day-to-day tips is in Derrick Hibbard's Law School Fast Track.  He was raising a young family (three children, I believe) *and* attending law school, and so he had no choice but to be organized.  His book focuses on building good habits, and is excellent.  (He adopted this for college students in College Fast Track, so for those not yet in law school you can get double duty with the college version.) 

Hope this helps,

Thane.