Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: St. Francis School of Law-- Denied Admission..  (Read 5721 times)

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
St. Francis School of Law-- Denied Admission..
« on: June 25, 2012, 06:21:37 PM »
Okay...  seriously... does this school think it is the cream of the crop or what??  Here is my denial letter:

It is with regret that we inform you, after full and careful consideration, the Admissions Committee is unable to grant you
admission to St. Francis School of Law.

We appreciate the care that went into your application and want to assure you that your candidacy received thorough and
serious consideration. All applications receive an exhaustive review process, and as such, all decisions are final. We are
unable to consider appeals of any kind, though we encourage you to reapply in upcoming semesters.

Although there is no way to lessen the disappointment, know that this was a difficult decision for the Admissions
Committee to make. The majority of our applicants have demonstrated strong preparation for law school and the ability
to contribute significantly to the quality of our student body. As a result, we must select for admission those whom we
believe are the very best of an outstanding applicant pool and deny admission to many.

Denials of admission are neither negative estimates of your potential for the study of law nor indications of deficiencies or
weaknesses in your application. Rather they are the inevitable result of many attractive candidates for a rigorous
academic program.

Thank you for your interest in St. Francis School of Law and best wishes for your education and career plans.

For an online law school that has no statistics and has been around a year or so, they sure feel confident that they are better than the others.  My background includes 3 degrees and 20 years of legal experience.  I really got a bad taste for them when I had the "interview."  It was more like a job interview than an enrollment interview.  I probably didn't say the right thing but I was honest about the purpose of studying law and it was NOT to be a lawyer. 

Geez.... to get turned down by a fly by night online school has got to be the lowest of the low....lol.   Oh well..

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: St. Francis School of Law-- Denied Admission..
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 08:50:32 PM »
I'm kinda fascinated by this place. Most DL law schools will gladly accept anyone who's willing to pay the tuition, but perhaps these guys are trying to do something else. Perhaps they are actually trying to start a respectable, selective online JD program. It's interesting. Do you know anything about the school's history, and who founded it?

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 12:47:49 PM »
I'm just guessing here, but it could be that they want to focus on bar passage rates.  If you told them you don't want to be a lawyer, they might be concerned that you won't take the bar exam, which is one of the statistics people look at when choosing a law school.  Since they are new and don't have any bar pass rates to compare to other schools yet, that could be the reason.  Sounds stupid, but it's still a school that wants to attract future students and bar pass rates are a part of that.  Sometimes, it's probably better to lie.  Anyway, I'm just guessing.       

Nor-Cal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:30:44 AM »
Bummer, sorry to hear that you were not accepted.
A.A., B.S., and soon to be 1L.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Combat Veteran

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 08:22:40 PM »
This is an online law school.  Are you kidding me?  Move on.  You are probably not missing anything.   But, on the other hand, why on earth would you tell them that you don't want to be a lawyer?  That statement just says:  "I'm not really interested in what your school has to offer."  Tell the next school that you can't wait to be a lawyer and help everybody that comes through your office door; even if you have no intention of ever practicing.
Angie

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 08:49:33 PM »
If I was really going to be honest with them, I would have told them my plan was to attend their school (or any online law school for thformatted) for 1year...by passing the baby bar, and transferring to a state run law school in Alabama. 

I give them credit for being picky.  I said I didn't want to be a lawyer.  I didn't say I didn't want to practice law.  you can practice jaw without being a lawyer. 

In any event, it is no loss.  The school is going to have a hard time.  The other schools take just about everyone.  You need the volume so when they have students that drop out, they are not left with a skeleton student body.  They offer nothing more than what you can get at an established online law school.  The yearly tuition is $7,000.  For that, you might as well go to Taft or California School of Law. 

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 02:38:26 PM »
I said I didn't want to be a lawyer.  I didn't say I didn't want to practice law.  you can practice jaw without being a lawyer. 

Other online law schools do not care what your plans are after you graduate. They just want your money. They know that not everybody that attends online law school does not go on to practice law. These are older students that already have careers and jobs. Business owners attend online law school with no intention on taking any bar exam anywhere. They merely attend online law school for the legal knowledge so they can keep themselves out of the court room and keep from being sued or to know how to defend their business in case they ever are sued. Some students have spend a fortune on lawyers defending their own lawsuits from their business being sued, and they figure it would be cheaper to attend online school school for the knowledge, and yet others are attending for job promotion, not to be an attorney. Some jobs only require that you have a J.D but not a bar license.

It sounds like St. Francis is turning away students intentionally.  Others on here have posted that they were also denied admission.

calgal27

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 09:50:52 PM »
I am an older student at 46.  I run a business.  my interest in the law goes back 26 years but I never could get it together not to mention my low LSAT score.  Georgia doesn't not have a lot of choices...5 law schools in the entire state so online works for me. 

It is the education I want... not the career.  St. Francis is not going to be around being that picky.  besides, there are others that will gladly take my money and who have stats to show.  One thing they asked me since I have 3 degrees was law school just going to be something for my resume.  Seriously??  Who in their right mind would torture themselves just to add another degree to resume?  seems odd.

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 10:43:07 PM »
Not sure where to direct you, but I heard that there are some online foreign law schools that are reasonably priced at under $4000.00 for an entire 4 year law degree. Every State bar within the united states accepts foreign law degrees and will allow you to sit any state bar. This includes online foreign law degrees. The problem with this, is that other countries have different laws, so it would be difficult to learn, or rather difficult to pass the American state bar since you are learning a different countries law. For example, other countries do not have the constitution and we do.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 11:27:14 PM »
It is the education I want... not the career. 

(snip)

Seriously??  Who in their right mind would torture themselves just to add another degree to resume?  seems odd.