Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting ABA after the bar.  (Read 3945 times)

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Getting ABA after the bar.
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2012, 11:07:33 AM »
Also, it has been my experience that most people I talk to who aren't in the legal profession are like:

People: "Where did you go to school?"
Me: "XYZ school of law in CA."
People: "Wow, very nice."

Of course, they don't recognize or care about the name.

I think you'll be surprised to find out that most people in the law, outside of California, would probably have pretty much the same reaction.  If you don't intend to work as a lawyer, it's all just a nice credential.  Plus, you passed the bar.  I would be sure to list that on your resume as well.  For instance, "JD from XYZ college.  Admitted to the California Bar on June 99, 3042."

Then, people can ask why you aren't practicing law and you can tell them, "That was never my intention.  I always wanted to do ABC instead."

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Getting ABA after the bar.
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 09:06:34 PM »
If you want a ABA degree, go to a ABA law school outside California.  They will accept you even if you are a California attorney already with a non ABA degree.  Do not expect any credit for prior work but it may be negotiable. I had the same problem after moving from California but I could not stomach the idea of going to law school again, so I got a PhD in international law instead.