Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Warning regarding Syracuse Law  (Read 4533 times)

bobol

• View Profile
Re: Warning regarding Syracuse Law
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 07:38:44 PM »
Maintain FL 350

1...... where did I say it placed Syracuse "in the top 25 for attrition"?

2...... since you referenced the "the top 25 for attrition" please identify the law schools with the top 25 attrition rates.

Thanks.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 10:12:59 PM »
1...... where did I say it placed Syracuse "in the top 25 for attrition"?

You didn't. I'm merely making an observation.

2...... since you referenced the "the top 25 for attrition" please identify the law schools with the top 25 attrition rate

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2008/04/law-school-ra-1.html

His numbers are a few years old, but if you check them against LSAC you'll see they haven't changed much. The precise order of schools may shuffle around a bit, but it's pretty much the same list.

BTW, I have no connection to Syracuse. It doesn't really matter to me if they have the highest or the lowest attrition in the nation. My only point is that if their "onerous" grading curve still allows 91% of the students to pass, well, that doesn't seem too harsh.

Check out this article if you get the chance. Law school attrition is actually at an historic low. Perhaps students are generally better, but I suspect this has to do with keep those student loan dollars rolling in.

http://www.thefacultylounge.org/2013/02/what-has-happened-to-law-school-attrition.html

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »
Old post, but interesting insight about attrition. It does seem as though very few schools fail students out and there were definitely a few people at my school that did not seem capable of feeding a cat yet alone passing the bar and none of them did.

I do think education in all facets is becoming to lax everyone is supposed to get a participation ribbion and told how special they are, which I imagine is what is leading to the high rates of unemployment among grads in all forms of education rather than the educational quality or even economy.

The legal profession is tough and many schools I visited seem to coddle law students opposed to prepare them for the realities of legal practice and I think it is institutional laziness and wanting to avoid conflict with students that is leading to a lot of problems in the profession.

I would before requiring all students to pass the First Year Bar Exam as non ABA California law schools are required to do.  Better to find out you don't have what it takes one year in opposed to three years in.