Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I want to go back to law school  (Read 3456 times)

Nathaniel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My heavy metal band's Myspace site
    • Email
I want to go back to law school
« on: June 21, 2012, 12:02:19 PM »
I attended law school for the first time in '07.  I went to the University of Southern California.  Now I want to go back to law school. 
The University of Maine '07
USC Law Dropout '07

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I want to go back to law school
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 12:17:18 PM »
Why did you quit the first time?  (if you did quit)

Nathaniel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:28:59 AM »
I was depressed, I wasn't impressed with the student body, and I wanted to make a last ditch effort at rock 'n' stardom in Hollywood. 
USC Law Dropout '07

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 02:32:16 PM »
Questions:

1: How independently driven are you/ how much do you need oversight and deadlines for motivation?
2: What level of boredom are you comfortable with during working hours?
3: How much money do you want to make five years after law school and how much debt will you need to go into?
4: Can you deal with pushing paper for a living or would you need a great paralegal to do most of that for you?
5: Can you give up what you want now for what you want in the future if it will take you several years to get it?

Nathaniel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 01:54:05 PM »
Questions:

1: How independently driven are you/ how much do you need oversight and deadlines for motivation?

I am independently driven and I don't need oversight.  Although there is a higher power above us all.  To me, everything is like a factory, and I'm my own boss.

2: What level of boredom are you comfortable with during working hours?

Boredom?  What matters the most is sex, and as long as that condition is met, there is no boredom. 

3: How much money do you want to make five years after law school and how much debt will you need to go into?

Jack24, I can already make millions of dollars a day.  Lately I have been thinking about becoming a billionaire farmer. 

4: Can you deal with pushing paper for a living or would you need a great paralegal to do most of that for you?

The Invisible Hand can take care of that.

5: Can you give up what you want now for what you want in the future if it will take you several years to get it?

I inherited eternal life, so I got all the time in the world.
USC Law Dropout '07

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 02:29:21 PM »
Are you a scary vampire? I think you're a vampire.

NiceOne

• LSAT Tutor
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Preparation Services
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 04:39:23 PM »
Vampire; his real name is LSTAT.

Nathaniel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 12:31:51 PM »
I am not a vampire. 
USC Law Dropout '07

Nathaniel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 12:48:36 PM »
Since I took the LSAT in 2005, I attended the University of Southern California Law before I dropped out, lived in a hostel in Hollywood for half a year, then worked at a Ford dealership in North Hollywood, CA, and had a stint with Greenpeace, and also worked at Toyota Hollywood, and I also worked for a telephone fundraising company in Korea Town, Los Angeles.  I must've sold about $ 2 million of merchandise at the Ford dealership.  My score on the LSAT in 2005 was 166.  Perhaps if and when I take the LSAT again, and if I score at least a 166 again, then I can get into a more presitigious law school than Gould because of my additional "soft" factors.   

USC Law Dropout '07

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »
Since I took the LSAT in 2005, I attended the University of Southern California Law before I dropped out, lived in a hostel in Hollywood for half a year, then worked at a Ford dealership in North Hollywood, CA, and had a stint with Greenpeace, and also worked at Toyota Hollywood, and I also worked for a telephone fundraising company in Korea Town, Los Angeles.  I must've sold about $ 2 million of merchandise at the Ford dealership.  My score on the LSAT in 2005 was 166.  Perhaps if and when I take the LSAT again, and if I score at least a 166 again, then I can get into a more presitigious law school than Gould because of my additional "soft" factors.   

Yes, if you score higher than 166 you may get into some higher ranked schools. I don't know what your soft factors are, but one thing to keep in mind is that they'll be looking closely at your law school transcript from USC. The vast majority of applicants can only be judged by LSAT/GPA, but your performance in law school can be predicted more easily.

I might be totally wrong about this, but I would guess that your application will be treated somewhat like a transfer application. If your performance at USC was very good, you've pobably got a great shot at higher ranked schools. If your performance was average/below average, you might have a hard time. A new, much higher LSAT score would probably help, but I don't know how much. Your grades from SC are going to play a big role, I think.