Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chances of getting in 2.4 GPA 165 LSAT  (Read 1125 times)

skiman1984

• View Profile
Chances of getting in 2.4 GPA 165 LSAT
« on: June 18, 2012, 10:20:01 AM »
Hello all, I have a question about my chances of getting into Law School. Right now I am thinking about law school after being out of college for 3 years. I know my GPA was not very good I did however attend a good university. Unfortunately my GPA does not represent my intelligence. The school I went to was a small college and many of the classes had an attendance policy ( I am sure many of you see where this is going). I got As, Bs, on all my exams, quizzes, papers etc... but I was killed on attendance, which was very strict at my school. Many professors had a three miss class rule if you miss three classes they fail you. So I know it was not smart to skip and I did anyway.

Long story short I have been working for three years now out of school mostly in finance I took the LSAT and got a 165. I live in NYC and would like to go to a school in the tri-state area. I have read mixed things about GPA over LSAT score. I was wondering how much my bad GPA will hurt me. Seeing as I have been out of school a bit and been successful in my work out of school. Any help would be greatly appreciated.           

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Chances of getting in 2.4 GPA 165 LSAT
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 10:27:01 AM »
Your GPA will certainly hurt you, but with a 165, there are tons of schools that will accept you, even in the tri-state area.  Just apply and see what happens.  You could get a full-ride at cooley.  Hahaha! 

skiman1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:37:03 AM »
The money is not an issue I am lucky to have some help in that area. I am hoping that not applying for financial aid will help. I put the numbers into the UGPA/LSAT calculator but I am not sure how right the results are.   

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 10:46:17 AM »
The money is not an issue I am lucky to have some help in that area. I am hoping that not applying for financial aid will help. I put the numbers into the UGPA/LSAT calculator but I am not sure how right the results are.   

Your results are completely unpredictable.  You're what's called a "splitter".  I am one too, but not as bad as you.  That makes those calculations basically worthless.  You'll get in somewhere, though.  Your 165 is truly exceptional

skiman1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 11:08:38 AM »

Your results are completely unpredictable.  You're what's called a "splitter".  I am one too, but not as bad as you.  That makes those calculations basically worthless.  You'll get in somewhere, though.  Your 165 is truly exceptional

I guess a follow up is what type of schools should I be targeting? I know the top top schools are out.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 02:32:09 PM »
In your shoes, I'd still apply to some schools that are at the bottom of the top 25.  So, something maybe in the 18-25 range.  These will clearly be a stretch for you, but that's the point of a stretch.

With a 165, I would be shocked if you didn't get accepted by something in the 2nd tier.  (26-50).

Almost certainly, there are 3T schools that would accept you.

Best of luck.

skiman1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 06:40:46 PM »
Thank you