Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Honors vs Traditional Degree  (Read 2866 times)

doesitmakeadifference?

• View Profile
Honors vs Traditional Degree
« on: June 17, 2012, 02:57:21 PM »
I am looking to attend law school after graduating from McGill University (my undergrad). I am going into second year at mcgill and need to pick my major/minor. The two programs i am looking into are a major in economics with a minor in finance/marketing, or a joint honors program in finance and economics with a minor in really anything. I know the honors program for econ and finance is one of the hardest programs at mcgill and will alter my gpa negatively compared to the first option. So the question i have is out of your personal experience and knowledge should i pursue the honors degree or take the normal economics program and obtain a higher gpa. does the honors degree carry enough weight that it will help my application?

Thanks

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Honors vs Traditional Degree
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 04:33:40 PM »
I am looking to attend law school after graduating from McGill University (my undergrad). I am going into second year at mcgill and need to pick my major/minor. The two programs i am looking into are a major in economics with a minor in finance/marketing, or a joint honors program in finance and economics with a minor in really anything. I know the honors program for econ and finance is one of the hardest programs at mcgill and will alter my gpa negatively compared to the first option. So the question i have is out of your personal experience and knowledge should i pursue the honors degree or take the normal economics program and obtain a higher gpa. does the honors degree carry enough weight that it will help my application?

Thanks

Maybe for the very, very best schools, like maybe the top 3, the honors might carry some weight.

For all the rest, they're going to make their first cut based purely on numbers. 

Just my decidedly non-expert opinion on the matter.

OTOH, an honors degree in finance/eco from McGill might be enough to land you on wall street, thus making law school largely unnecessary.